close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Checking in a world class deer for someone else?

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by thebassslayer, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Page 15 in the DNR book. It states The person who takes the deer must cause the delivery.....must cause? Does that mean the hunter who took it has to check it in or they just make sure it happens? Any ideas?

2. Somebody other then the shooter can check the deer in as long as it is tagged properly and the person checking it in has all the required info on the kill. I had my father check in a small buck i shot several years ago, i had classes at college the following day and would not have been able to get the deer checked in before 24 hours. Again, that was a smaller buck, im pretty sure had it been a world class deer i would have been sick the next day for class;)

3. You have 48 hours to check it in.

4. Yeah, i guess you are right, i just now read that. Has this recently been changed, i always thought it used to be within 24 hours. I guess i rushed around to get mine checked in this year for no reason, could have just waited an extra day.:bonk:

5. Yes!

It changed two years ago. It was moved to 48 hours from 24 hours.

6. I read someones post on here that taking a "world class" buck is like hitting the lottery. And I agree!

But the question I would ask is, if you hit the lottery, would you give your winning ticket to someone else, for them to claim? OR, would you make room in your schedule so that you could cash in the winning ticket?:yikes:

7. Actually you might be surprised to find out that there isn't really all that much money involved with the harvesting of a world class buck. Also, what comes along with it is a "Million Dollar Headache". The Lovstuens in Albia, Iowa could attest to this. This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the industry; that you've "hit the lottery". Now, don't get me wrong. If you shot the next world record, you're probably going to make some money on book signings, T-Shirts sales, possible company endorsements, and maybe Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas might want to purchase your rack (it's not as much as you might think though). But to say you've hit the lottery is a big misconception.

The downside to it all is the fact that poachers and tresspassers will hoard in on your hunting spot (and yes, no matter how hard you try to keep it a secret, people will find out). Plus you've got all of the "experts" telling people that you shot it illegal, etc.
    Would I love to shoot a world record? You bet. Will it ever happen?NO!! AM I going to lose any sleep over it?? No way!! If I had the choice between having someone give me 1 million bucks; or the harvesting of the world record buck, I'd take the money. With the money, I could hunt whitetails all over the continent for the rest of my life and shoot many fine bucks along the way. Maybe I'd get lucky and shoot a Booner too.