close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? choke for slugs thru smooth bore

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by DBurris, Oct 30, 2006.

1. what choke do you recommend for smooth bore shotguns, muzzle loader is what I use but son is using 12ga. Imput suggestions or just plain advice, thanks DB

2. Remington makes a rifled choke for rifled slugs. But not any good with sabots. If you have a smooth bore do not try to shoot sabots as the round will tumble out of the barrel and be all over the place. Sabots need rifling twist the entire barrel. I have always used remington sluggers and they shoot fairly well out of a smooth bore.

3. DBurris....I believe you want to use the Improved cylinder choke for deer slugs. In a smooth bore barrel use rifled slugs such as the Federal Hi-Shok rifled slug or the Brenneke rifled slug.

4. My dad had a winchester slug gun that they sent a rifled choke tube with. The barrel was a smooth bore barrel but the choke tube was supposedly good enough rifled. THE THING SUCKED... put a smooth bore barrel with a smooth choke and shoot rifled slugs from that beast. IVe shot the federal rifled slugs ever since i started gun hunting and they work just as well as anything else. Good luck...

5. Tubes Or Barrel?

IF YO HAVE SCREW IN CHOKE TUBES, USE A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE. IF NOT YOU WANT AN IMPROVED CYLINDER BARREL. I WOULD RECOMEND BRENNEKE SLUGS WITH BOTH SET-UPS.

6. improved cyl. for the smooth bore

7. yeah i agree with jespencer52 they r pretty accurate they r the only slugs i use

8. I shot the sluggers out of a smooth bore with an improved or modified choke, can't remember what came stock with the gun. But now all I hunt with is my T/C Omega with PowerBelts! Forget shotgun hunting anymore. I love that front stuffer