close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choosing A GPS unit

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by bret, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I was not sure where to start this thread. I'm somewhat familiar with how GPS works. I am interested in something I can mark fishing spots, hunting info, mushroom spots, wild asparagus or any spot I may want to come back to. I want to use it for any acctivity I want. Is anyone using a GPS device they really like? Has it helped your fishing and hunting? Was it worth the money? Thanks. Bret

2. GPS Afield

Hi Brett,
    I have 2 gps units, one mounted in my boat, and one handheld, and I wouldn't be without them. Be it finding my favorite Mushroom patch, the artesian spring in the woods I deer hunt in, or getiing back to my "honey holes" when fishing.

They are great. especially when hiking, hunting, or fishing a new place (help you find your way back out at dusk.)

Both of mine are made by Garmin, they lock on to the satillites quickly, which is a plus, and they offer topo maps, with easy GPS software (Free) you can upload your waypoints to your computer, and make maps of your trips. (www.easygps.com)

You won't be sorry if you get one.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck!
    Sparky

3. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

I have a Magellan but would recommend a Garmin if that tells you anything.

4. I have a Magellan Pioneer hand held with manual and Ram mount for permanent mount on boat for sale $100 rfsellers@kconline.com

5. Read and learn about all the options they have. At times, getting to within 60' of your target is simply not enough. Then you need a system that is WAAS enabled. WAAS system will get you within 10' or less distance from your target. That is a big plus when fishing or finding your favorite Mushroom patch.

They are also handy to find your way back to your auto in a huge parking lot.

A unit that has GPS Mapping features is awesome on the water.
    Lots of info in the web.
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/ I like this link

6. I definitly appreciate the replies.:) I like the idea of a unit being very precise on finding my spots. Thanks. I'll be doing the research.

7. I just bought the Garmin Legend hand held about two weeks ago. I have already had it out ot the lake and so far really like it. I researched all brands and had it down to the Garmin Legend , Magellen Gold, Lowrance H2o. Mine has 8MB available memory for additional downloads. I downloaded 5 hotspots lake maps and only used 3% of the additional memory. No regrets so far.