Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choosing A GPS unit

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by bret, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I was not sure where to start this thread. I'm somewhat familiar with how GPS works. I am interested in something I can mark fishing spots, hunting info, mushroom spots, wild asparagus or any spot I may want to come back to. I want to use it for any acctivity I want. Is anyone using a GPS device they really like? Has it helped your fishing and hunting? Was it worth the money? Thanks. Bret
  2. GPS Afield

Hi Brett,
    I have 2 gps units, one mounted in my boat, and one handheld, and I wouldn't be without them. Be it finding my favorite Mushroom patch, the artesian spring in the woods I deer hunt in, or getiing back to my "honey holes" when fishing.

They are great. especially when hiking, hunting, or fishing a new place (help you find your way back out at dusk.)

Both of mine are made by Garmin, they lock on to the satillites quickly, which is a plus, and they offer topo maps, with easy GPS software (Free) you can upload your waypoints to your computer, and make maps of your trips. (

You won't be sorry if you get one.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck!

3. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

I have a Magellan but would recommend a Garmin if that tells you anything.
  4. I have a Magellan Pioneer hand held with manual and Ram mount for permanent mount on boat for sale $100
  5. Read and learn about all the options they have. At times, getting to within 60' of your target is simply not enough. Then you need a system that is WAAS enabled. WAAS system will get you within 10' or less distance from your target. That is a big plus when fishing or finding your favorite Mushroom patch.

They are also handy to find your way back to your auto in a huge parking lot.

A unit that has GPS Mapping features is awesome on the water.
    Lots of info in the web. I like this link
  6. I definitly appreciate the replies.:) I like the idea of a unit being very precise on finding my spots. Thanks. I'll be doing the research.
  7. I just bought the Garmin Legend hand held about two weeks ago. I have already had it out ot the lake and so far really like it. I researched all brands and had it down to the Garmin Legend , Magellen Gold, Lowrance H2o. Mine has 8MB available memory for additional downloads. I downloaded 5 hotspots lake maps and only used 3% of the additional memory. No regrets so far.