close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choosing broadheads

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by BrodyCarter2008, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I am a new comer to bowhunting. i was wondering how you know what kind of broadhead for your bow? like how many grains should i get if i have a #65 draw or does it even matter?

2. For a 65 # draw weight, AMO suggests you shoot an arrow that weighs 390 grains. Select an arrow that has an appropriate stiffness, and then choose your broadhead grain weight. You can get a stiff enough shaft that will support a 100 grain broadhead and still get you above 390 grains. A reputable bow shop with a good technician should be able to set you up right.

3. remember its not speed that kills the deer. Its the kinetic energy that shoves a razor sharp head through vital organs that kills the deer. I would stay above 100 grains and not go anymore than 150. If you get much over 150 you have to start increasing your shaft size to be stiffer so your arrow flys with less flex through the air. Remember kinetic energy and bleeding is what kills. Nothing can replace a razor sharp head that hits where it is shot. I recommend the magnus stinger 100 4-blade. Simply awesome broadheads that have a lifetime gaurantee on them. IF they break, bend, or chip they will replace them. And they are all spin tested to make sure they are deadly aligned to shoot out of the fastest bows out there. I might have some brand new in the package extras if you are interested and Ill give you a good deal on them. Good Luck

4. Easton Arrow

Go hear and download the selector software. Input your specific parameters and hit enter. It will recommend the correct shafts using your data. I would suggest a 100 grain head for whitetails. Can go up to 125 grain but IMOP it is overkill for deer. If your bow is too slow because of overweigth arrows a nervous deer can jump the string or duck the arrow at 20yds. This is a good tool to have for selecting different arrow and broadhead weights when experimenting with what works for you. Look around on the site for other helpful info. Good luck and happy hunting!! Be sure and take a kid hunting when you can......;)

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  5. This will be my first year using a crossbow and I could use some help choosing which broadhead to use.

6. Muzzy

I recommend Muzzy 100 grain - 3 blade (locked blade) for whitetails...puts the smack down on 'em and creates a hole bigger than a shotgun slug.

Good Luck!

7. I think I've asked before, but I got no response, so I'll ask again. Has anyone ever shot Muzzy Phantoms or heard anything about them. I'm thinking about trying them this year, and any help would be appreciated.

8. No James, no experience with them here.

9. I haven't heard of the Phantoms. I've had good luck with Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades, but I plan to try 100 gr. Slick Tricks this year.

10. I have had a friend try the Phantoms from his longbow. THey are alright but seem to be too much of a "needle point" at the tip. I still think the magnus stinger cut on impact head... Just like the phantom. is a better buy. The entire broadhead except the blade is lifetime gauranteed. You wont be disapointed at all. They are kind of salty though... 20-25 per 3 pack... Each one these broadheads is spin checked to be deadly aligned ...

11. Broadheads....

the only bad thing about the Phantoms is that one minute they're there, and then poof......they dissappear!:hide:

The Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade is a time honored favorite. I also like the 100 gr. Montec g5.

Brody, there is balance between weight and knockdown ability that you should strive for. Speed is less important in hunting than some like to talk about. Most of today's bows (the tricked out super bows with all the bells and whistles:coco: ) are fast enough to deliver lethal arrow speeds. Figure out what arrow you're going to use and go from there. You should have around 6 grains of arrow/head for every pound of draw weight. (I.E. at 66 pounds of draw weight your arrow/head combo. should be at least 396 grains.)

No biters on the Shiznizzle??

12. Isnt that made by 'Poop Dog Archery'??

13. The Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade is a time honored favorite. I also like the 100 gr. Montec g5.

Killer Broadhead. They are coming out with a new one in April 06 that is the same thing but with replaceable blades. It is called the Striker!!

Brody, there is balance between weight and knockdown ability that you should strive for. Speed is less important in hunting than some like to talk about. Most of today's bows (the tricked out super bows with all the bells and whistles:coco: ) are fast enough to deliver lethal arrow speeds.

Dean......I thought you liked Hoyt buddy!!!:coolgleam

14. Hoyt Rocks, um Hoyt Rocks??!!

Love my Hoyt....!!!

15. Dean,

Go to the G5 website and check it out....STRIKER!!! Would look nice on a Easton Full Metal Jacket....When Easton released this arrow they projected a certain sales quota for the year...It has only been out for 3 months or so I believe??!! They have orders already 7times the projected sales for the year.. That pushed me to try them out...I cannot tell you how awesome they are...They just feel different upon flight!!!