close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Conflicting Interests?

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by Hoyt_Rocks, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  2. I think that the trick will be training the deer to cross at the new "Deer Crossing Signs"! How much is that going to cost us?:evilsmile

3. "No, silly. Deer can't read! But they DO recognize pictures of themselves..."

:coco: :dizzy: :biggrin:

4. I volunteer to be the new crossing gaurd :evilsmile

5. Didn't you know the Indiana farm bureau and the state chamber of commerce own this state ;)

6. That sounds funny. Like the lady that called in to the Governor's office asking for the deer crossing sign on her road to be moved, when they asked why, she said too many deer cross there and its dangerous, maybe they should cross somewhere thats not so busy.:bonk:

7. I HAVE WORKED FOR THE STATES LARGEST PRIVATE INSURANCE WRITER, STATE FARM, FOR 20 YEARS. I PERSONALLY HAVE KNOWN MANY OF THE CHIEF OFFICERS OF OUR COMPANY, AND HAVE POSED THIS ARGUEMENT TO THEM. MANY OF THEM ARE DEER HUNTERS THEMSELVES. THEY ADVISED ME THAT STATE FARM HAS NO POSITION ON REDUCING THE DEER NUMBERS IN INDIANA TO SAVE MONEY. THEIR POSITION IS IF LOSSES INCREASE, RATES FOR THAT COVERAGE WILL INCREASE.

I WAS ADVISED THAT MUCH OF THE LOBBYING COMES FROM THE INDIANA FARM BUREAU, THE FARMERS ASSOCIATION.

8. I thought Mitch sold the state:evil: .

9. non-issue

I agree and feel its a non-issue. Look at an average premium of $500 per car per year. Depending upon deductibles, the comprehensive portion of the policy represents maybe $50. The largest single item representing the most frequency under comprehensive coverage is glass breakage. Deer are not affecting your rates much, if any.

I think Indiana Farm Bureau is mentioned most with the issue because they represent a large local lobby. However, keep in mind that lobby not only represents the Insurance Company but also the CO-OP.

10. "If the insurance companies wanted to make a difference, they need to start offering a rebate on your insurance rates for each deer you kill. Even if it's just the cost of the tags. Because, ultimately, we HUNTERS are the ones that are keeping the deer in-check and keeping car-deer collisions down..."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  11. I AGREE WITH BOTH OF THE TWO ABOVE POSTS. COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE WHICH COVERS DEER COLLISIONS IS RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE COMPAIRED TO LIABILITY, COLLISION AND THE OTHER GENERALLY CARRIED COVERAGES. AND YES OLD ROOKIE, GLASS REPLACEMENT IS PROBABLY THE MOST FREQUENT AND COSTLY. NEXT WOULD PROBABLY BE THEFT AND VANDALISM. WHILE DEER COLLISIONS ARE COSTLY, THEY`RE BUT IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY, A RELATIVELY SMALL EXPENSE.

IF THE INDIANA INSURANCE INDUSTRY REALLY WANTED TO CRACK DOWN ON THE SOURCE OF COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE LOSSES, THEY SHOULD GO AFTER ALL THE DUMP TRUCK AND GRAVEL BUSINESSES.

12. Great idea! :) A rate reduction you get to eat!

13. I guess its better than the 1920's when they say the KKK owned Indiana :(