close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cooler this weekend

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ccavacini, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

It will be easier to run the dogs in the morning this weekend...much cooler temperatures.

Given up my morning fishing at the lake...would rather run the dog and make sure she's in shape.

Talked to a lot of people who said the bird population is up this year.:bouncy:

2. Grouse, quail, pheasants? Where? County only...I'd never steal another man's spot.

Jack

3. First season in the field with my new pup, almost don't care if we would find a bird or not. Ok, I care, but just watching a dog work makes the day pretty good. Cooler temps will be nice too, poor guy's tounge was draggin' last night.

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Jack,

We've got a pretty good population of pheasant in Stueben, Noble, and Lagrange counties....I'm going to run her at Cedar Swamp, outside of Fremont, IN...pretty close to the lake cottage, so it's pretty convenient....have shot some birds there over the years...

Cary

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I remember saying the same thing my dog's first season(she was 6 months old) She hunted with two other experienced dogs so played a lot of grab ass until one of them nipped her...then she got the idea...I think hunting with other dogs can be good for a pup...don't expect much and have fun. He'll eventually get the idea.

Only problem with hunting with experienced dogs....my pup never got a chance to retrieve...always the last one in...but now it's not a problem.

You could get some quail/pigeons and plant them (although, the first time I did that Megs was stepping on the quail and broke a wing...never did smell it) Thought we had a major problem there...but now she's a pro.

6. Cary if you want some help bangin some birds at the Cedar Swamp when seasen opens let me know dad and i would love to go hunt some with you. We have a trip to a hunting preserve outside of Coldwater coming up in Oct. that will be my first experience behind a dog and i am ready.

7. My pup will be 9 months next week. I have kept a few quail in a backyard pen. Staked a few out live, and have shot a few over him. He was in a "fun hunt" ran like a hunt test when he was 4 months old, he did his two water retrieves, and got 2 out of the needed 3 birds.
    The way I came up with the "quaildancer" name was from his reaction to the first few birds he came up on in the field. The dog would dance and bark in a circle for 2 minutes or so before finally diving in for the flush. He's past that now and dives in with a vengence to get that bird to fly or die. He's actually trapped two quail live and brought them to me, no shots fired. I wondered if it was due to how much time I used to fish, the dog practices catch and release too.

8. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Kevin, let's see what we can set up...hunting behind a pointing dog is the only way to go....but beware, if you're behind a good one, you'll get a pup for sure.

Either Cedar Swamp...or maybe Mongo. I've got a private place near Kendallville that I hunt a couple of times a year...maybe we'll do that. Not very big...about 60 acres, but we usually find some birds.

Also, where's the preserve outside of Coldwater? Been to one in Sturgis but didn't know about this place. Do they have a web site?

Cary

9. after we go up there i will give you all the info. we got hooked up thru a buddy. it is like $60 or so , you can take 4 birds. he is chargeing us 65 to use his dog and a couple of bucks a bird to clean them. you can take groups of up to 4 ppl.

I am not for sure where it is, i will have dad ask about the website.

When it gets closer to season we'll have to get together and go over some details. We have already thought about getting a pup.

Ok forget that info. it is a little off. So here is the website.

theringneckranch.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005