close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Couldn't make this up

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by ccavacini, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

ATTLEBORO, Mass. Oct 18, 2006 (AP)— Tag, you're out!

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, S.C., school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

2. I agree 100% with this ruling. Just the other day my daughter fractured 4 bones in her hand from playing patty-cake! WHEN will the violence end??!!

:bonk: :yikes: :coco:

(That folks, is sarcasm at its finest) ;)

3. ....I also think it's terrible they can't play dodgeball anymore...it was the only way to take out anger on the kids you didn't like without getting in trouble for it.

4. And they wonder why we have an obesity problem with our children in this country. I blame money hungry lawyers for this kind of stuff, they sit around looking for an excuse to sue. In todays society too many people are unwilling to except the fact that accidents can and do happen and too many people won't take responsibility for their own actions....its always the fault of someone else. Like a guy who breaks into your house and sues you because he cut his arm on the glass he broke to get in.

5. just like i didn't have sex with that lady how much did this coast us ??? now kids have a twisted sense of what sex is ??????:coco: :coco: :dizzy: :dizzy:

6. I saw this on CNN and about had a cow! What are the kids supposed to do to get the wiggles out? Stand around and be drones?

At my daughters school, they have one recess where it is structured exercise (ie: jumping jacks, etc.) I say let them be kids! They have the rest of their lives to worry about all the other crap that life throws them!

7. At our youth group on Wednesdays, we play dodge-ball with the kids for about 45 minutes! The kids love it! (Evidently they can not play in school anymore as well!)

8. Rowdy

Rowdy

First Yard Darts...now TAG and DODGEBALL????

HOLY JUMPING JESUS!!!! NO MORE DODGEBALL OR TAG???????? Thats what this contry is coming to, makes you want to go to that school and throw a big red ball the principal. Tag is just a fun game and I cant see anyone getting hurt. BUT DODGEBALL is a game that sharpens your life skills. It teaches you to watch your back and not to be fooled by an honest face. It teaches you to pounce when you get an oppritunity and to take one for the team....At this rate in 10 years kids will be afraid to check the mailbox by themselves. GEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!!!

9. No, Rand, that is what Football was for...........

10. They're taking activity away from youth and wonder why people are going into schools and opening fire on everyone. Someone said something about giggles above...Well, kids don't have giggles anymore...the prozac takes care of that for them.

"We don't need no education....we don't need no thought control. Hey, Teacher, leave them kids alone.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Perhaps Pink Floyd saw it coming......

11. Come on now you gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Thats why we are all getting fatter, and lazy. But we are much more intuned to our compassionate side! What a bunch of crap if the kids did half the stuff we did they would'nt fall in love with x-box and the T.V. we are teaching our kids to be sissys. I can't tell you all the times I came home with bumps, bruises and such. It was a kid being a kid! Let kids be kids and remember when you were a kid. Adults should stay out of the playground and kids should allowed to be kids. We used to burn our pubic hairs with punks when we were kids now it's probably sexual harrasement!:coco:

13. JUST ANOTHER STEP IN THE "FEMINIZING" OF THIS COUNTRY.

14. I don't know about you guys, but around this time every year as kids we loved playing War with fallen walnuts. As I recall we even played that game at school a time or 2, then the assitant principal couldn't find any more walnuts and made us quit...:evil:

15. I have noticed a huge decline in social skills in young children of beginning school age. I know I am preaching to the choir with the teachers that frequent this site. My wife and I have made a point to expose our children to other kids and put them in social situations and teach them manners. Our 6 year old girl acts more functional than most 15 year olds I see these days. Just hard facts.