close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote decoy

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Backstrap_Buffet05, Nov 21, 2006.

1. I am planning on doing some predator calling after deer season and was wondering if anyone knows how to make a decoy to save some money, unless there are some cheap ones I can get at the store.

2. Well I had 3 different coyotes run into my turkey decoys this spring. Might give those a try.

Jack

3. How a bout a stuffed bear....... they work.

4. Go to bird-x.com to get a coyote decoy. They use them to scare geese off golf courses...37.50 They have coyote and fox. Maybe use a 3D archery target.

5. Rezno's decoy, I got a set they look darn good. Haven't used yet though. Theya re liteweight and easy to settup and carry in the field. It doesn't have to anything fancy even a feather drapped over a branch that's tied to a string will be enough to draw there attention sometimes.

Alan

6. I BOUGHT MY DECOY, A BOUNCING RABBIT ON A STICK, AT GANDER MOUNTIAN FOR AROUND $40.00. I TRIED A HOME MADE, NON-MOVING, VERSION, BUT WITHOUT THE MOVEMENT, IT GOT LOST IN THE WOODS. I TRIED TYING A STRING TO THE DECOY AND JERKING IT, BUT IT JUST WAS NOT THE SAME. IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT PREDATOR HUNTING, I SUGGEST SPENDING THE MONEY AND GETTING A NICE, REALISTIC, MOVING DECOY.

7. FoxPro FX5 Caller/controller

Anyone out there have one of the FoxPro FX5 callers? If so, do you have it connected to a decoy that's remotely activated.

I can't believe they want so much for these devices. But they seem to be the best thing out there. The ability to control the sounds and the decoy from several hundred yards away is the nice thing about this setup.

I am only half way serious about getting into Predator hunting so I am not going to speed too much money on decoys. But I agree if you are really serious about calling in Coyotes you should have a remote controlled decoy and caller.

From what I know or have read it's hard to fool these Wiley coyotes.

I have seen some of these coyotes around my neighborhood this last year. I hear them a lot but have only seen them one time in the last few years. They are pretty smart critters.

8. When I started out I bought a Johnny Stewert casset caller. This past year I had more success calling in coyotes using mouth calls, than I ever had using that tape player, and it's a lot cheaper. As for decoys, I bought one last year, but can't remember what it's called. Never had any luck when using it.

9. Fox Pro is the best. If you have the 5 bills get the digital caller and moving decoy.

10. I have five bills...unfortunately, they're all ones...:banghead3

11. Need a decoy? I have a rat terrier you could barrow, if you promise to be a little slow on the shot.:evilsmile

12. Foxpro is far from the best in my opinion, the fact that folks are paying 500 for those systems (Not truely digital) is amazing to me. Then over 100 for a remote controlled rabbit (Jack-in-the-box) is astounding! Mike Dillon has truely found a market for his products... but I believe it comes from a lack of knowledge on the part of most hunters.

A good system will cost you a chunk of change, but the product foxpro is putting out does not constitute the pricetag. If you want the best try a wildlife technologies, if you want something good within a budget of $400-500 get a Minaska.

As for decoys, don't spend a lot of money on them because they aren't overly helpful in calling Indiana coyotes. There are times of the year that a decoy will costs you more coyotes than he'll kill you, and rarely does a decoy MAKE THE DIFFERENCE in your favor. The Renzo decoys are good, I own two full sets, the Riggor Rabbit and similar motion decoys just don't do it for me. I've killed hundreds of coyotes without a decoy, seen more scared off by a deocy than die to one.

13. I found a web site that gave me some ideas on how to make a digital predator caller. Using stuff from Radio Shack and spending under 100 bucks. The most expensive part of the setup was a $59 digital MP3 Player that's hooked up to a small radio shack amp and then to a indoor/outdoor Radio Shack speaker.

The calls are downloaded from his web site and then downloaded into the MP3 player.

There is a 2 min long silence track that can be put in a recording. He includes the 2 min of silence in the 16 min calling track that I downloaded.

You setup the caller and then can walk away after turning it on. This gives you two minutes to get away from the caller and setup in a blind or something before the 16 mintue track of various calls begins. There are built in silence times in the 16 min calling routine. I have not played the entire thing yet and still am not sure where to start hunting yet.

I saw where some guys actually print out calling cards that advertize their services. Maybe I read that here on this web site? Can't remember where as I have been visiting too many different sites. Was that JrBHUnter that does the calling card? Saw one site where the guy prints out a written permission slip to get a landowner to sign.

I know that I have seen some coyotes near a cattle farm not far from my house.

Drove up to Patoka Lake today and saw several dead deer along the interstate. There is an article in the Predator Magazine about hunting over dead carrion. Wonder if the coyotes find these dead dear along the Highways and eat them? Wonder what would happen if one picked up a dead dear and put it on in a field where coyotes are known to hang around? I wonder if that's legal or not? I don't have a clue.

I saw that some F&W sites are listed as allowing coyote hunting. Not all the IN F&W sites on the web site say that you can hunt at night.

14. I like to use my daughters beanie baby collection. String 'em up so they hang a foot off of the ground on a limb, and tie another line to the limb to make her shake. I know - bad dad. Inexpensive though;)

15. Moose, man of the things you mentioned are threads on www.MidwestPredatorHunters.com I do have business cards that I hand out to landowners, hunting 55 counties across this state makes it hard to keep up with everyone at all times.

The business cards are an easy way to give the landowners my name/number and other contact information. I am going to have some reprinted next summer with another unique idea of mine. The main concern of most landowners is "What truck are you driving". I'm considering having a business card made up with my truck photo in the background... name and number attached, then they can hang that on the refrigerator and ALWAYS know who I am. I hunt approximatly 90,000 acres of private ground across this state, it's hard to keep up with the platbooks and phone numbers otherwise.