close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote help please!!!

Discussion in 'Indiana Small Game Hunting' started by cjones46, Jan 10, 2007.

1. I want to give 'yotes a shot this year...
    word is if i have permission from a landowner I can hunt them year round...and I'm pretty sure I can get permission. So now I need you guys to help me out. I'm open to any tips or pointers you guys can offer...

Any rec's on which calls to try out?
    Time of day preferences?
    Places to start looking? (swamp, field, woods etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance...

:help::help::help::help::help:

2. I like early eve. with a bunny distress caller, keep your eyes peeled, yotes love to circle before the come in. good luck and good huntin!

3. i like the early evening suggestion...any hunting that allows me to sleep in is quality hunting in my opinion haha....
    I'll check that thread out tine, thanks fellas

4. I shot a coyote last year in early archery. I just finished a doe bleat sequence and the coyote came in right below me. Not sure if it was the doe bleat or just chance it happened that way. I hate those mutts! FYI-We do seem to see them in low marshy areas most frequently.

5. I PREFER HUNTING EARLY MORNING, I PRIMARILY HUNT IN WOODS. I USE A REMOTE ELECTRONIC CALL BLOWING A DISTRESSED RABBIT. BE READY FROM ANY ANGLE, SOMETIMES HELPS TO HAVE A BUDDY COVERING YOUR REAR. STAY MOTIONLESS WITH FULL CAMO( HEAD NET AND GLOVES). YOU`RE NOT ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL IN SEEING SOMETHING, THEY ARE VERY SMART ANIMALS, BUT WHEN IT ALL COMES TOGETHER, I THINK IT`S THE BEST TYPE OF HUNTING THERE IS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  6. i hunt with 2 other guys, usually along brushy fencerows with woods and ditch or creek nearby. we have one guy call with a rabbit in distress mouth call and the other two set up between 50-75 yards away on each side of him. we usually do this first thing in the morning. the first time i ever went, i was posted on a corner of 2 fencerows and within 30 seconds of the first call set a coyote popped out 5 yards in front of me. it caught me off guard, but i finally pulled the shot off when the yote was about 75 yards away and trotting. just make sure and be ready to shoot as soon as you start calling. by the way, we use the primos little dog calls, and i hunt with a 22-250.

7. Best Hunting At Night With Snow On The Ground , Otherwise Early Morning Or Just At Dark, Had My Best Luck With Electronic Caller, On Low Volume On Calm Nights, If Wind Is Blowing Adjust Volume Accordingly, We Have 2 People Usually One With A 22-250, The Other With A 10 Or 12 Ga. With #4 Buck Shot , Put The Shotgun Downwind Of The Caller Approx. 80 To 100 Yds. The 250 With The Caller Lots Of Times They Will Stay Out 100-200yds And Howl At You, If They Hang Up And Howl And You Dont Get A Shot You Might As Well Move To A Different Spot They Usually Wont Come In.we Normally Call For 10 Min. Sit Quiet For 15 Min. Call For 10 More , Sit Quiet For 15 Min. No Action Move To A Different Spot ,most Of The Time It Will Happen In The First Sequence , Hope This Helps, Good Luck, Note: You Will Fail Most Of The Time But When You Get One Its Awsome, Also Watch For Stray Dogs Had Them Come In Several Times!!

8. Gang the coyotes are spoiled and know that no one is hunting them in a lot of places. You can drive down the road and they are running in the fields during the lunch hour and all day. If you have a place that they are not been hunted I would try it any time. I find fence-rows and ditches that have been cleaned and bush piled up and hunt them when they are on they way out at late evening or when they are headed back in early morning. I HUNT ANY TIME.

9. Someone on this site posted that some times when you use the doe bleat coyotes will mistake it for a fawn call and come in for the fawn. I wish I could give credit where credit is due, but I don't remember who posted it.

10. another example of why I love this site!!! You guys are awesome!!!

I'm gonna try to go out with TMarsh83 saturday night and maybe sunday morning up in lagrange county...I'll let ya'll know how it turns out...

11. I can't disagree with that...:tongue:

12. we like to hunt them at night if there is snow on the ground. hunting with people to help ambush or cover all possible routes in is always more fun and successful. once you start calling stay deadly still they spook easilly. Early morning is a great time as well. I see them travel on trails a bunch look for droppings as well they can be in an area one night and then gone for awhile. they are a blast to find, call, hunt, and win.

13. TMarsh and i went out last night...
    Plan 1 got scuttled because of ICE
    Plan 2 got scuttled because of ICE
    Plan 3 had Marsh on the southern half of the property as well covered as any hunter could ever be and still have shooting lanes
    I was about 70 yards to the north
    marsh had the howler and bunny distress call working
    he was able to get them to talk to him on two separate occasions but we weren't able to get any in sight.
    Brought out the flashlights and looked for sheds for a little while after dark. No shot fired but still had a great time. We're gonna get these suckers one of these days...

14. I don't think anyone despises coyotes right now as much as I do. Dad and I burried our antlers about 2 months ago for an easy way to get rid of everything on the skull. We covered them up with a plastic bin and put lots of weight on it so that critters couldn't get at it and chew them up. Today when I was entering the woods on the 4-wheeler to check the beds for sheds I notice that the bin was tipped over. I went over and to my relief my antlers were not eaten up, but dad's weren't there! Some coyote had dug under the bin and tipped it over. I went inside to tell dad and he didn't seem to bothered by it because it was probally just out in the woods a little ways laying on the ground. I was p.od though!:banghead3 I went out and searched for it but couldn't find it. Im gonna go out and look some more tommorow after school, and then go out and hunt coyotes at night! The past few days ive heard a yote yipping during broad daylight in our woods so hopefully I will be able to bag one.