close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote hunting in st.jospeh/ laporte co.

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by brandonjames, Dec 23, 2005.

1. I have been hunting deer for about 15 years now, and I have been looking for a new aminal to hunt. Just recently I have been doing alot of reading/ watching on coyote hunting, and after seeing and reading about it I cant wait to get started. I am hiving my rifle put together right now and one I get that I will head out and give it a shot. so if there is anyone out there that is willing to share some pointers with me, becase it seem like alot of coyote hunters I have spoke to live out west and I think the coyotes probably have a different way out here but I might be wrong. Any info will be greatly appreciated. If your in the st. joseph/ la porte coutny area maybe you could meet my brother and I to do some coyote hunting, we have alot of farmers asking us to slim there coyote population. Thanks.

Brandon

2. Brandon, I sent you a private message with some very good information in it.

3. i live in ST JOE COUNTY and hunt for coyotes this time of year. You have to remember these are very smart animals. Wind direction is VERY important. They will bust you before you ever see them. Ever tried calling them in before. That is the only way I do it. And it is a 1 in 5 shot. You want to check it out some time? I am going to give it a try Sunday morning. Come on over.

4. Is it possible to hunt them with a recurve. I'd love to give it a shot sometime if someone wanted to waste a day teaching me the ropes of coyote hunting. I have a main hunting area in southern IN, where the coyotes are over populated like crazy id love to extend my hunting season one more year but have no idea where to start. Any ideas

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2006
  5. can you hunt 'em from a tree stand??? :confused:

6. Treehugger,

I was kind of bored yesterday so I got the old .222 out climbed up in my tree stand to try out a mouth blown rabbit screamer. I made a short series of calls every 10 minutes and after 45 minutes a coyote came in and I got him. By the way my first coyote ever.

I'm not sure if that is the conventional way of doing it, but it did work. Pretty exciting.

7. Well, guess that answers that question in a positive way. WAY TO GO! I wondered if it would since that's how I always spot 'em when deer hunting and it puts your scent above them and your movements. Think I might give it a go sometime. Thanks for the info.