close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyotes and deer hunting ?

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by IndianaBowHunter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. I noticed this year that the coyote numbers are up where I hunt. I used a drag rag yesterday evening on the way to my stand and had two coyotes at two different times come down the same trail with noses to the ground. One came within bow range and isno longer a problem, the other escaped without harm. Curious if you guys are seeing the same and besides the obvious hunting them what helps control the coyote population. I have several nice deer pics from my cameras, but mostly all night. I'm just wondering if the pressure from the coyotes are making the deer move at night. The hunting pressure is very low in this area.

2. Coyotes got to my doe kill before I did in early October. Last Saturday night I heard a pack of them howling between me and my way out of the woods after dark...not a good feeling.

3. Coyotes......yep they are in our area......
    [​IMG]

I shot one last year during archery about 10 yards from the very spot this picture was taken. As far as making the deer move at night I don't think it increases night time movement. Coyotes move at night as well. My advice if you have a weapon when you see one use it! Might want to do some predator calling in the off season to get rid of some.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  4. I had a pack of seven come in on me last year during muzzleloader season. I'd shot a doe that did some pretty loud bleating before she died and they came right into her. Luckily I had already reloaded and was able to shoot the lead one. Also had one come in on me a few years ago during turkey season, I didn't see him until he was about 10 yards from me, I don't know which of us was more surprised, but I fed him a couple rounds of 4 shot. I don't think they effect the deer movement that much, seems like they only go after the dead, sick or wounded ones. I've never seen or heard of them chasing a mature, healthy deer but that doesn't mean that they don't. I do know that I try to take out as many of them as I can, that it includes hunting them after deer season is over.

5. I used to see a lot of coyotes, this year have not seen any.

As far as coyotes only going after sick/dead deer...don't believe it.
    A year ago I had two Renzo decoys set up (buck and a doe), watched and laughed as a coyote came in to attack them both. If he's brave enough to run up and bite a buck in the butt while on the hoof and standing near another deer....I don't believe they'd only go after sick or injured deer.

6. I AGREE WITH TREE, A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO I WAS READY TO LEAVE THE TREE AT THE ONSET OF DARKNESS. A PACK OF COYOTES BUSTED LOOSE HOWLING ABOUT 100 YARDS AWAY, BOY WAS IT BLOODCURDLING. I DON`T GET TOO WORRIED ABOUT ABOUT A SINGLE COYOTE, BUT PUT SEVEN OR EIGHT HUNGRY ONES TOGETHER AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN. TIMES LIKED THAT MAKE ME WISH I WAS PACKING MY .22 REVOLVER WITH ME.

I MAKE A CONCERTED ATTEMPT TO HUNT COYOTES AFTER DEER SEASON, PERSONALLY I FIND IT AS CHALLENGING AND ENJOYABLE AS DEER HUNTING.

7. I'd have to say your right then, I've just never seen it happen. Had a buddy get a hen decoy destroyed by a coyote and he said it was worth the price of the decoy to see. Be nice to have something like that on video.

8. Kill em' all and let the Buck God's sort em' out!

9. with the new law that you can carry a hand gun why'll hunting you should be able to get rid of some

10. I don't believe that they ONLY go after the sick, young or injured animals. However, coyotes do play a huge part in the deer management process. Having them around is far more important then not having them. They keep disease spread down as proven in the yellowstone studies when re-interducing the wolves to the area. I'm not saying that they don't hurt the deer hunting but with out them I dont think we would have as healthy of a population.

11. i had cyote trouble early in the season. seeing up to 4 every time out. i don't think a adult deer is scared of a single cyote. i saw a doe and a cyote stare down each other at 15 yrds. and the doe finally just turned and walked off. unfortunatly not my way. the cyote left his own way too. now a crippled deer might be different. they just kreep me out though when a bunch of them start howling before daylight. i have no mercy for them. i've seen some huge cyotes driving that look like they would rip you apart. it makes me wonder how agressive they would get if they had a couple of buds along in the dark.

12. coyotes

A few years ago I was hunting a swamp/field edge. Watched four coyotes chase an adult doe down the field edge. As they approached, I noticed 5 coyotes running up the field edge in the opposite direction toward the approaching doe. As all converged, the doe saw she was running into a trap and broke into the open field. She ran about 1/8 mile across the field, toward the farmers house, with all yotes following. That doe was smart enough to run between the farmers house and his barns. The coyotes would have none of that and turned around. Those coyotes were definitely after a healthy deer and I feel honored to have witnessed such an awesome display of survival tactics.

13. Neat story, Jacob.

14. To the folks that say they won't attack a healthy deer, I dunno. i will tell you this they WILL attack a healthy human. Last season I had a run in w/ 5 of the little buggers, they circled and came in growling as I was headed for the truck. Luckily it was shotgun season, I got one of them right there, and another as he was running away. After dragging the carcases out I changed my underwear and went home.

Now w/ the new law re: handguns my 45 is ALWAYS with me in the woods. Something about the fact that I have 16 rnds of 45 ball (why waste good hollow points on P.I.T.A. coyotes?) is kinda comforting when I hear them howling neraby :)

15. You have to kill so many of them to reduce the population that I dont think we would have a real impact on their numbers. I kill everyone I see, in the winter. Same for feral cats.