close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

crappie in the heat

Discussion in 'Northeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by rico, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Been doing a lot of fishing that last few days. And all of it is like ice fishing. Been catching my crappie in the deep water vertical jigging with my longest ice pole. Funny thing is that I can only catch them during the heat of the day. Bite is slow in the morn and completely dies off around 6 pm. What is up with this?

2. Man, you're the crappie guru here...I have no idea.

3. Gee, and I thought you had an answer for everything...or was that Dean? Oh well, thanks for the input!

4. That's Dean...please don't get us confused again.:16suspect

5. Are you fishing any shallower as the night progresses? Maybe as the sun starts to set they're moving into shallower water...maybe not.

6. I am so very, very sorry...gotta be the heat...Take care Dean!:evilsmile

7. They completely shut down. Shallow or deep, doesnt matter. I havent seen anything like this here, and I have fished it my whole life.

8. Why, I oughtta...

9. What are your baitfish doing at this time....are the crappies initially stacked in there because of the baitfish? Are the baitfish scattering out? Can you see the baitfish with a finder? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm racking my brain here trying to figure this out.

10. Rico if it helps, James has hair.

11. Don't pull your hair out James, you'll start lookin' like you know who.:biggrin:

12. When I fish for crappies in the heat, always in deep water where there is some brush or deep holes. I jig or use minnows.

13. I see the baitfish all over feeding at the waters surface. Majority of them are up around the edges. But the crappie do not follow, or at least I am not catching them there. I am out in the middle in about 25 foot of water. I think it is a combination of the heat and abundant rainfall.:confused:

14. How deep are you fishing?

15. 15 to 30 ft deep and deeper at some lakes. What I have found is that lakes that are deep all over stays colder all year. In the spring I fish lakes that are not so deep due to sun warming the water fast, so I stay away the deep lakes till the heat of the summer comes. I also found that a good fish locator helps out (or a GPS like JL uses)