close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie Knowledge

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by treehugger, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I have fished most of my life for almost everything with good success...except crappie. I have fished for them on a limited basis with not a lot of success. This year I want to try to figure out these specks and get 'em in the basket. Can any of you experienced crappie anglers out there pass along some info on catching ol' papermouth??? Any helpful info is appreciated.

:fish:

treehugger

2. I use a jig that I bought in Kentucky, its called a "Meller Yeller".
    These things work wonders, but you cant get them here.
    I have about 30 packs of them. Crappie go nuts for them.
    Since that really didnt help you any, i'll tell you how I fish for them.
    I use a clear teardrop bobber and a jig. I look for brush in the water
    or around docks. If a tree has fallen in the pond or lake, they love that.
    I cast well past the structure and bounce the jig around on the retrieve.
    Usually I fish about 18-20 inches deep. Sometimes I have to go as much as 7-8 feet. I like any yellow jig, but these "Meller Yeller's" are the best. Sometimes if I miss one, i'll get a second strike. The pond I fish for
    them in is second to none in my book. They average 14-15 inches, and I have caught 19 inchers. There are some decent bass in there but its over run by 1 pounders. I fish for big redear's there also. Oddly enough, I have never caught or seen anyone else catch a bluegill in that pond in15 years. But to answer your question, I would use yellow jigs, clear teardrop bobbers, and the bouncing jig motion on the retrieve.
    Good Luck

3. Hey Bo...thanks for the info. Where do you get the "Meller Yeller"? Is it a hair jig, rubber, or what? Before you ask, yes, I can make it over and fish your "honey hole" just let me know when. :bowdown:

4. Believe it or not, rubber and hair, and about you going with me...maybe someday. I need a place to catch a big bass. Maybe we'll make some kinda deal if I get a bass for the wall.:chillin:

5. i've got the bass spot...may have to go to IL though for the greatest opportunity. can get a temporary non-res license for like 7.50. annual non-res is around 25.00, at least last year not sure if it went up or not. i've fished the lake since early 80's, i know where they are and when. let me know. i've got a 16 ft. deep V grumman with 9.9 evinrude. lake is 811 acres, with lots of good points, coves, weeds, laydowns, and standing timber. love to fish the slop in may/june with rats...i'm tremblin' thinkin' about it. :dizzy:

treehugger

6. Walleyes in this Illinios beauty, Tree????

7. There was initially a stocking done when the lake was established. I don't think it gets fished hard for them as I think the numbers are low. There are catches of them on accident that I have witnessed while bass fishing. Nice ones when they are caught but numbers are limited as far as I am aware. What it lacks in walleye it more than makes up for in largemouth bass...believe me!

8. For an all around species lake to fish, Lake Shelbyville near Effingham, IL is a good one to try. Largemouth Bass (big'n's), Walleye, Crappie, Muskie, White Bass. I've been there a few times and had good success on the LM & WB. Caught a few Muskie while bass fishin'...WOW! Anyone else been over there???

9. Never been fishing in IL, but back to the crappie thread. I usually go after crappie with a two inch white curly tail grub on a white jighead. If they won't bite the bare jig I tip it with a minnow. As mentioned before, they like to organize themselves around cover, but it is not always obvious cover. Sometimes it is something as simple as a down tree. The other thing that works well with crappie is a small bobber above and a fine brass hook below with a minnow on the hook.

10. Dang it... I just read a good article about the biggest crappie not hanging around cover with the littler ones. They tend to be more able to roam because their size. I wish I could remember where I read that article... I read so many magazines. Anyone else see that article? It would be this month or last months at the latest.

WAR

11. War,
    I only fish for crappie in one pond, I have fished other places for them with "little" success. The way I described to fish them is what works for me, but you are right, some of the bigger ones are deep.

12. TREE, I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN THEY ARE BIGHTING, BAIT OPTIONS CAN VARRY, BUT THE PRESENTATION AND LOCATION ARE KEYS TO BEING SUCCESSFUL! TRY USING A CRAPPIE JIGGING POLE, WITH A 1/32 OR 1/64TH OZ. JIG AND JUST PUT ON A SMALL RUBBER JIG OR EVEN A GRUB WORM. THEN WORK YOUR BAIT AROUND THE EDGE OF HEAVIER COVER, CHANGING YOUR DEPTH UNTIL YOU LOCATE THEM! ONCE YOU LOCATE, TRY FISHING A LITTLE DEEPER, I ALSO AM CONVINCED THAT THE BIG ONES HOLD DEEPER! PANFISHING IS AN ART, AND YOU WILL SPEND ALOT OF TIME BECOMING SUCCESSFUL, BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT YOU WERE DOING WHEN YOU HOOK THE BIG ONES!!!:fish: :coco:

13. i've been fishing and caught them in april at Brookville lake. Seems like they take years off. About every two years they hit quite well. The jig used is a white hair jig tipped with bee larva. It works great..we usually fish in about 10 feet of water around trees and things like that. The best place i've ever fished for crappie is Lake Kissimmee in Florida. I go down there for spring break every year for spring break to fish with my grandpa who goes down for 2 months every year. We've caught as many as 75 in 3 hours. We usually average about 40 in the mornings. We fish the grass lines with both jig poles with the same white jig i mention without any bee larva and cane poles with corks and minnows. Later on the fish move into the lily pads and the fishing gets even better because you don't hardly have to move.

14. TREE, JUST READ YOUR POSTS ON BASS FISHING! (BASS FISHERMAN CAN'T CATCH CRAPPIE) JUST KIDDING! BUT DON'T USE THE SAME TACTICS OR YOU WILL GET DISCOURAGED. MAYBE LOVEHUNTING CAN TELL US EXACTLY WHERE TO FISH AT BROOKVILLE, BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO GO THERE THIS SPRING!:fish:

15. Thanks for the tips everyone. I will be trying to catch some of these crappie soon and will try what you have suggested. I'll post pics of my success thanks to you all...howz that for positive thinking!