close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crazy?...Uh huh!!!

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by treehugger, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I hope you all enjoy this little ditty I wrote recently. Many of you, I am sure, will relate to this very much from the discussions I have read from you.

I Can Only Guess

The main focus of deer hunting is the taking of an animal for food and or trophy. There is so much more to it than that for me. I have been told I am crazy for spending 10 hours of a vacation day sitting 20 feet up a tree. Crazy? You bet. I feel a little bit sorry for those who have never had the opportunity, or have never taken the opportunity, to be in the deer woods.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen a red fox sniffing the forest floor for mice, chipmunks, and whatever else they can find to eat.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen a coyote or pack of coyotes tracking the scent of a deer in pursuit of their next meal. They have not witnessed the coyote hunker down in between the harvested corn rows waiting to ambush their prey.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen a group of turkeys make their way from the woods to the open fields to feed in the fall afternoon.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen or heard the Canada geese fly overhead within distance of hearing their forceful wings flap and hear the unmistakable honk.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never heard the barren trees come alive just before sunrise as the Cardinals bring color to the dim landscape.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen the sunrise through the hardwood forest silhouetted by the leafless trees in November.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never walked to the field before sunrise in the light of a full moon.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen the beauty of a fall sunset as it drops behind a Hoosier landscape of barns, grain silos, Sycamores, Oaks, and Hickory’s.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen the deer pop out of the woods during the magic hour just before last light.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never seen the deer zig zag their way across a frosted field towards their tree stand.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never had a deer within less than 10 yards of them and the deer not know they were there.

I can only guess that most of those same people have never been in the field during a snowfall and be absorbed into the silence.

I can only guess that most of those same people reading this right now are realizing what they have missed.

Crazy? You bet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  2. Beautifully written, Tree.

3. Nice Job Hugger

I can only guess that the people you want to read this will never scroll this website to find it.

But beautiful words never the less.

4. Very impressive tree! It's amazing that some people can go a lifetime without realizing the truth to your writing! While the rest of us eat, sleep and breathe it.

5. BUMP!

6. Randy, I can only guess you have way too much deer adrenaline running thru your veins right now!!!!GET OUT THERE AND HUNT!!!!!!!!!

7. TOO HOT!!!

8. I might have heard this before...