Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished white lick creek a few times and haven't had much luck since we haven't found any crawdads or caught any baitfish. I have always heard creeks can be good for smallmouth bass and was wondering what kind of artificial baits people have had luck with while fishing creeks. Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Danny Gapen ugly bugs are killer for me in streams.....Best smallie to date 5.25 lbs out of Buck creek on brown ugly bug with a gold beetle spin blade....Also do well on the ultra lite sub warts.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
Rebel "wee crawfish"...........tore up the smallies last year on the white river. And, they worked equally as well on sugar creek.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use a white mr. twister with a jig. I fish it every way posseible. I jus caught like 15 smalleys at my cabin in boggstown. the biggest was 3 pounds with the smallest ones were around a pound

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Rebel "wee crawfish"...........tore up the smallies last year on the white river. And, they worked equally as well on sugar creek.
What he said. Buy a variety of color combos. That way you can give them a choice. I always start with brown over orange. You can expect to catch more than smallies with the wee craw.....drum, channels and walleye....I've caught them all on a wee craw.

Don't forget nightcrawlers. Drift them thru holes and past timber.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Any place, any time---Texas rigged 4 inch power worm on 1/0 mister twister keeper hook---2/0 if in known big fish territory.
In my other pocket, I carry a craw colored 1/3 oz Big O, a size 9 floating Rapala, a tiny lucky 13 and a 1/8 oz tandem spinnerbait in a couple diferent colors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I hope you have permission, i was ran off last year by a guy who said that white lick is non-navagable...he said the local CO hauled 3 guy's to jail for floating it in there yaks..i've done really well on that stream prior to getting ran off..green pumpkin zoom speed craws,pegged 3/16 weight with a tooth pick.good luck!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
White Lick is indeed Non-Navigatable. I happen to own property on White Lick and it's a constant battle keeping tresspassers ran off. Most people just don't know the law, but some just don't seem to care. I pressed charges on two duck hunters who didn't seem to get the message the first 2 times I ran them off!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have walked White Lick, from Brownsburg, to just north of Moorsville. Everyone North of Moorsville, said yea go ahead and fish.
A night crawler, on a bare hook, floated down into the pools, will catch fish.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That's what gets "everyone" in trouble! When someone on here says, "everyone North of Mooresville said go ahead and fish." Then Joe Blow heads out this weekend w/ his teenage son and gets caught fishin on PRIVATE PROPERTY w/out permission. When the property owner ask, "what are you doing," they say, I read on the computer that it's OK to fish this creek.

I've delt w/ it for 2 years now and I've washed my hands of it. Myself and the adjoining property owner doesn't allow any fishin.....so if someone shows up and doesn't ask if it's ok I simply call the county conservation officer. If they're hospitable I'll tell 'em it's private property. If they want to argue I just press charges.

KNOW THE LAW GUYS! TMAN says everyone north of Mooresville says it's OK. Every inch of White Lick North or South of Mooresville is private property. Some property owners don't accept ignorence as an excuse for the law. GET PERMISSION FIRST FELLAS!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
HOW can u not allow fishing on a river,YOU dont own?! What property deed do you have that states YOU own part of a river? I've never seen a real estate listing for part of river for sale. Do you own UP to the river, or do you own the land UNDER the river? I understand that there are some bad apples out there that ruin it for the masses, but there are also some that take their daughters or sons out there in the evenings,after school and work, that are respectfull to Private property owners AND to the river itself. I agree that if you have to walk around on the land that you should get permission,but WADING in the creek! What has caused you to be like this?!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn't mean for anyone to go ahead and fish. I knocked on a lot of doors, and everyone was very nice, and let me cross thier property. Dalton Aspalt gave me a sighed letter of pemission. Didn't mean to rile you up Tobias.
Anyway, I have thrown spinners, crank baits, jigs,... always did best with a night crawler. Slip in close to a hole, without mudding up the water. And float your bait down into the hole.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's NOT a river.......it's a creek and the state of Indiana deems it a NON-NAVIGATABLE waterway. That makes it's private property! All you have to do is go the DNR webpage and get a listing of all the NAVIGATABLE waterways in this state.

That's great that you asked TMAN. So many people don't and that's what makes property owners like myself get fed-up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
White Lick is indeed Non-Navigatable. I happen to own property on White Lick and it's a constant battle keeping tresspassers ran off. Most people just don't know the law, but some just don't seem to care. I pressed charges on two duck hunters who didn't seem to get the message the first 2 times I ran them off!
I could understand running off duck hunters if they were making alot of noise and leaving empties in the water and what not. But if you are running off every fisherman that happens to wade through "your" stretch of water, then that's BS. I don't give a damn what the law says. Seems more like something a PETA member would do. Outdoormen/hunters/fisherman are an ever dwindling fraternity of men and women and we all need to respect eachother and encourage eachother's endeavors as much as possible. If somebody was minding their own business and passing through throwing out a line on a summer day and you run them off, then I am ashamed that you and I share common interest. Maybe you were having trouble with litter, or maybe they were traspassing on your land, and if so I apologize. But again, if you are patroling the waterway to keep an honest angler out you are a disgrace.

Where I live, some really rich dude owns property on both sides of the Tippy river, and there are conveniently hundreds of yards of deadfalls across the river through his stretch that makes canoeing it impossible. So I wade in 3 dozen decs and my shotgun on my back for a mile from the bridge and hunt ducks and geese - that really fires him up! And when everything else around freezes up, its an easy limit:biggrin:.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Would you be upset if you walked up to your deer stand and found me sittin in it? Would you be upset if you walked out in your backyard to take your kid fishin in YOUR pond and found me and my family sittin on your dock fishin? Would you be upset if you walked out to the duck blind you built on YOUR property and found 3 other guys you've never seen huntin out of it?

How would like spending everyother weekend picking up trash that other people left laying around on your property.

I can't believe a sportsman such as yourself would make a comment like, "I don't give a damn what the law says." That's the whole problem.....people like that who don't care about laws. If someone can't take the time or effort to come up to my house and ask permission then they don't have any business on my property.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds to me like if theres no crawdads and baitfish, somethings just not right. Are you in the part of the creek that got hit by the chemical spill last year ??
Just might be you won't catch or see any fish for a long time !!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Something all river,stream,CREEK, fishermen should read before they go fishing on "Private Property!"
WWW.adventuresports.com/river/nors/us-law-public.htm
read it carefully, and all of it. "the use of the banks is as public as the rivers" And yes, that covers CREEKS. Good info guys Not tryn to stir it up, just tryn to get info out to the landowners,so there arent confrontations. And yes, we will contact the C.O.'s in mooresville and talk with them. maybe "some" landowners would like to be included in that meeting?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts