Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would you be upset if you walked up to your deer stand and found me sittin in it? Would you be upset if you walked out in your backyard to take your kid fishin in YOUR pond and found me and my family sittin on your dock fishin? Would you be upset if you walked out to the duck blind you built on YOUR property and found 3 other guys you've never seen huntin out of it?

How would like spending everyother weekend picking up trash that other people left laying around on your property.

I can't believe a sportsman such as yourself would make a comment like, "I don't give a damn what the law says." That's the whole problem.....people like that who don't care about laws. If someone can't take the time or effort to come up to my house and ask permission then they don't have any business on my property.
Of course I would be mad if I caught somebody in my deerstand, or if I caught somebody fishing on my pond. The difference is, if you have a source of running water running through or bordering your property, and that particular body of water is wide and deep enough to hold fish, then an honest person could easily wade through casting a line and not know they are doing anything wrong. And IMO, they should be able to and you use some loophole in a very ambiguous law to defend your actions in removing them. Again, I do think it is BS if people leave trash lying around, damage property, etc. But it seems more like you are just policing this flowage like a dog pissing on a stop sign trying to mark your territory.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Something all river,stream,CREEK, fishermen should read before they go fishing on "Private Property!"
WWW.adventuresports.com/river/nors/us-law-public.htm
read it carefully, and all of it. "the use of the banks is as public as the rivers" And yes, that covers CREEKS. Good info guys Not tryn to stir it up, just tryn to get info out to the landowners,so there arent confrontations. And yes, we will contact the C.O.'s in mooresville and talk with them. maybe "some" landowners would like to be included in that meeting?
great info boog. I wasn't even aware IN had these kind of conflicts going on. maybe we should print out the federal code and stage a fish-in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Bro try a YUM Crawdad, 3.5 inch on a jig head, they seem to catch their attention But this time of year i have found LIVE bait being the only trick on those smart smallies. I have found early mornings being the best bit.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
the Federal government had to get involved ,because out west people were buying up the land and not letting fisherman, fish the trout streams.
there is ALOT of people that dont know these laws exist,property owners,C.O.'s,etc., I understand the problems that Tobias has had, but to compare sitting on your treestand to fishing a creek is like comparing apples and oranges. ALOT of trash flows down ALL creeks,rivers, and streams,that donesnt mean that 1 fisherman and his son made the mess in his back yard.Sorry he has to clean up the creek,but I for sure leave white lick with a couple pockets full of trash and used fishing line that have been left by others. If more people would do this MAYBE the adjoining landowners wouldn't be so vigailant in keeping people out of the waterways and set up fish cleaning stations for us!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Fish cleaning stations?

I already have to watch people coming in here dragging stringers of smallies out......often times fish under the size limit. Why in world would I or any property owner want to encourage more of that stuff w/ cleaning stations? People have to understand that not everyone that wades these creeks fishin for smallies are catch and release anglers. These small streams and creeks are vulnerable when it comes to people taking fish out. Hopefully most on here can imagine how sickening it is when you pull in your drive after work and see 2 or 3 guys throwing a stringer in the back of their pickup that has 6 or 8 14-16" smallmouth on it.

Anyone understands that trash flows downstream. The stuff I'm talking about is lawn chairs left on the banks, nightcrawler and chickenliver boxes laying on the ground, tents that had a hole it, inflatable boats that got a hole in it, batteries from flashlights throwed up on the bank or even worse in the creek, beer cans around the camp fire they decided to make at the edge of my corn field, this is just a few of the things I've delt w/ already this year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Something all river,stream,CREEK, fishermen should read before they go fishing on "Private Property!"
WWW.adventuresports.com/river/nors/us-law-public.htm
read it carefully, and all of it. "the use of the banks is as public as the rivers" And yes, that covers CREEKS. Good info guys Not tryn to stir it up, just tryn to get info out to the landowners,so there arent confrontations. And yes, we will contact the C.O.'s in mooresville and talk with them. maybe "some" landowners would like to be included in that meeting?
Good post and link booglur72. Also, I've never caught a fish out of flowing water that was marked property of Tobias or anyone else. I believe most of us on this site are proper and respectful and we understand the landowner's grief with those who are not.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The problem aint' w/ people on this site......or aleast most of 'em. Problem is w/ the vast majority of people that don't even know sites like this exist. I have no problem w/ 99% of the people that visit this site comin down to my place for a good wade. Problem is w/ guys who want me to build them a fish cleaning station (booglur72.) I work hard to preserve what I've got and others want to come in here and wipe it out. How would you feel if you came home and seen smallie after smallie gettin carried out of your own backyard? Then I've got to go out and clean up after them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pop-r

I fish the creeks alot, in fact up until I graduated from college and entered the real world I fished the creeks around west central indiana, up to the Lafayette every chance I got. The main bait I use is a POP-R, silver and black, and if you can find it; a yo-zuri holo perch is a killer bait, if you find one please let me know! A 3 inch tube with a 1/16th oz. jig head is the only way to go. I always find a crawdad before I make my first cast b/c the crawdad color for any given day may be different than what you throw for a half a day before you finally figure it out that they are green instead of brown or vice versa.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Tobias, I don't think you own the water, if someone can navigate with a yak or canoe they should be able to pass through as long as they don't get out. The law needs clarified, imo. You can always fish within the right-of-ways of road bridges. I used to canoe and fish white lick from centerton to the white, fun. Not now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
According to the 2 different Morgan Co. CO's anyone fishing, kayaking, or conoeing must have permission from a land-owner in a "non-navigatable" waterway. I don't "own" the water, but I do own the property around and under the water. It would be impossible to navigate White Lick w/out getting out from time to time and touching ground. I'm guessing that's why it's deemed "non-navigatable." I had a long conversation w/ a CO about a month ago on this exact topic just for reassurance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My old faithful is the 3 inch twistertail grub (usually white) on a jig head. However this year it's not producing. I have had better luck on a simple lil rapala minnow crankbait. Shallow running and its suspended, the way i have been fishing it though is almost like a zara spook. Jerking it like a jerk bait and they become very aggressive. wow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be respectful of private property BUT... Go fishing in Plainfield ... Lots of public access so you don't have to worry. Please throw all fish back so they can get bigger. I've been fishing White lick for 20 years It is a great resource let's use it enjoy it but preserve it also. Road runners smoke and white curly tails work. Tube jigs work well also. Sometimes you tear them up on arties and other times you can't get anything. The other day Sat 9/5 my son and I got minnows and went to one good hole we know and caught 28 fish out of this small but deep hole. threw them all back. Good luck fishing.

Plainfield has several parks along the creek including a trail. There is also Hummel park which is a township park. It is huge and has lots of access. probably a mile of creek. The rains last month filled in a couple of good holes but plenty of other holes still there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if you could get away with throwing down a few hundred steel traps to keep people from setting foot on your creek bed? That will teach them to enjoy fishing! those ****ers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tobias, if you don't want people on your property or hunting stands, make sure they are clearly labeled for people to see, and maybe even fence the area off, but don't kick honest fisherman, or hikers out of a public waterway. ( and if you don't want people filling undersized tags you should report it to the DNR.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always thought if I can float it, I ain't trespassing. But looks more complicated. Wading is a different situation. Looks like from some of the research I've done and some helpful posts, I can access banks up to high water line if I enter on state/county road/bridge. Bet this issue varies alot across CO's and counties.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

·
Registered
199 Posts
On navigable stream of course!
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a good post. Simply because I creek fish a lot around my area this time of year. Most of the creeks I fish are considered non-navigatable. Most are only a few feet deep with some deeper pockets here and there. The only way to get to those pockets is to wade the creek. Now to do this sometimes it's easier to go on the land to not spook the fish or it makes it easier to navigate the creek. I tend to have a problem with a few land owners though. They know I'm catch and release and understand fish management in these small waterways, but they still deny me fishing their land. A couple have even put up no trespassing signs where I used to park and told me not to trespass on their land. I can definitely understand where they are coming from, but sometimes they don't even care if you are catching and releasing. Some people are just major buttheads with their property line (due to insurance reasons I guess). I've managed to find another area to park on another person's land to hit the creek, someone who doesn't care if I wade. This sort of elminated my problems but I've gotten a couple owners who said I'm on their property when in fact I'm in the water wading and not on the land. Come to find out they own one side of the creek and the other side they don't own, belongs to another property owner. Well I started wading the side he didn't own and needless to say he can't do anything about it. LOL! Best thing to do if your going to wade a creek is to park on public land if possible. That way no land owner can say you are trespassing on his land first. Best spots are by bridges that go over the creek or around public parks, places like that because the county owns that land. Be respectful and don't leave trash. I don't recommend keeping fish either since fish management in creeks need to be maintained somewhat, plus if a property owner sees you taking out smallies that you shouldn't be (too small, etc) that might piss them off.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts