Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are older crossbow threads but I wanted to start a new one due to dormancy and what I presume are improvements in technology in the past few years. Im Contemplating getting a crossbow and am curious of the groups recommendations. Im leaning towards and Excalibur. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I won't suggest a brand as what you are looking for can very in price point wildly. I will tell you a few things I learned. I bought a Barnett - it's an entry level as I was not sure I would like it. Still not entirely sold. Still hunt with it and my compound.

#1 - You still have to practice! Maybe not as much.
#2 - You still need to know the limits of the equipment and YOUR personal limits! A crossbow doesn't mean you can all of the sudden take deer cleanly at 60 yards or blow thru shoulder blades.
#3 - DON'T use a regular archery target with a crossbow - it will blow your bolts right thru it and damage the vanes.
#4 - They are significantly louder than many folks think when compared to a compound bow.
#5 - They can be much heavier than a compound and can be rather unbalanced.
#6 - Use as heavy of a broadhead as you can find - mine worked much better with a mechanical vs fixed blades as well and they still need tuned (even at crossbow speeds fixed blades can still cause planing issues).
#7 - They tend to have a heavy trigger (some may have addressed that now).
#8 - Great for multiple shooters vs a compound that is set-up specifically for the individual.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought an Excalibur ibex 2 years ago. It isn't the top of the line and maybe the archery pro didn't set it up correctly. If you like a loud clunky weapon. If you like shooting 15 inches above your target at 30 yards. If you like waiting in anticipation to see where their recommended broadheads fly.... This could be the bow for you. I'd feel more confident beating a deer to death with it, than shooting it. Just my 2 cents.

Growler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You area a smart fella jbird. Where abouts do you live? It sounds like you have a broad level of knowledge on most topics discussed in these forums.
Joe - I appreciate the comment, I ain't smart, I just found a few good places for advice! My "knowledge" is in what NOT to do - hahahaha! I live in the Greensburg/Columbus area - unless your some sort of weirdo - then I live in Fort Wayne!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great post J-bird

I will add: don't have a particular brand in mind when you go to the shop. SHOOT ALL OF EM and then choose. I had a particular brand in mind when I went to Cabelas, and then ended up with something completely different. It fit me the best, and it had the cleanest trigger. I didn't like the trigger assembly and pull on the brand I thought I wanted.

Make sure you shoot your broadheads at a target too... don't assume they fly the same as field points. I am shooting muzzys because I like fixed blades and I can shoot the same broadheads out of my compound. Took a bit of sighting in to get them shooting correctly, and they shoot good out to 40. At 50 though, they start getting squirrely. With so much power planing can be an issue with some broadheads, and even some mechanicals.

Shooting sticks are not a bad idea, as J-bird said they can be heavy and unbalanced

I also highly recommend a rope cocker or pulley, makes cocking much easier AND it will be done consistently every time, which leads to better precision and accuracy

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Great post J-bird

I will add: don't have a particular brand in mind when you go to the shop. SHOOT ALL OF EM and then choose. I had a particular brand in mind when I went to Cabelas, and then ended up with something completely different. It fit me the best, and it had the cleanest trigger. I didn't like the trigger assembly and pull on the brand I thought I wanted.

Make sure you shoot your broadheads at a target too... don't assume they fly the same as field points. I am shooting muzzys because I like fixed blades and I can shoot the same broadheads out of my compound. Took a bit of sighting in to get them shooting correctly, and they shoot good out to 40. At 50 though, they start getting squirrely. With so much power planing can be an issue with some broadheads, and even some mechanicals.

Shooting sticks are not a bad idea, as J-bird said they can be heavy and unbalanced

I also highly recommend a rope cocker or pulley, makes cocking much easier AND it will be done consistently every time, which leads to better precision and accuracy
Some great additional points made there! Especially about not focusing on what you "think" you want. Get what works best for you and your needs. The deer don't care what brand you are shooting!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did the same as j-bird and bought a less expensive xbow because I wasn't sure how much I'd use it and just because they can get very pricey. I bought a Velocity Archery Lionheart (made right here in Indiana)
http://store.velocityarchery.com/product-p/xb-301crts.htm
and have been happy with it. It IS very loud, even after adding limbsavers. It doesn't seem super fast. I've yet to shoot at anything other than a target with it yet, but I loaned it to a student at the school I work at and he took a decent buck with it, so I know it works. :) It came with a red dot scope that has 3 dots, 20, 30 and 40 yards, and it is very accurate. The shop I bought it from already had it sighted in. I'd like to shoot one of the new reverse limb crossbows some day to see how they shoot, but I'm not sure if they'll fit in my budget.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You might want to start by joining the crossbowtalk.com forum. It's part of archery talk. Everyone there will tell you to talk to Wyvern at Wyvern creations. http://www.wyverncreations.com/ He does sell excaliburs. I bought a wicked ridge raider from him and it's wicked accurate. I have had it for 3 years and have now taken 3 fall turkeys with it and several deer. I would also highly consider an exaclibur due to being able to easily change a string. Tenpoints might be more expensive but you could go the wicked ridge route like I did which is part of ten point. They have great customer service. I bought a steddy eddy which is a tenpoint monopod that attaches to the bow and it is awseome. I bought it second hand and it needed a part to attach to my bow and they sent me one for free. I also tightened down my string stopper too tight and bent my stock some. They are going to replace it for free after the season. Another thing I like about the tenpoint/wicked ridges is the thing to draw the bow is attached to the bow so you don't have to always be looking for it.

·
Administrator
3,975 Posts
They are definitely heavier. I had to install heavy duty hooks. This makes them harder to hold steadily and I have also found most to be trigger heavy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. Got my 1st and 2nd crossbow earlier. Think a pretty good deal and had heard of the Barnet brand long ago. Picked up a Wildcat C5 and a Whitetail Hunter STR, the C5 came with a hard case. Both are scoped with mounted quivers and 5 bolts for each including some extra broadhead's website.
Wife wants to get a round bale brought in for a backstop to practice. Are those good bows? Owner pointed out that on the C5 have to watch the grip as string could catch a thumb if not careful as it happened to his wife, the STR has a different grip option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already had my first and second crossbows. I think it's a terrific value, plus I'd heard of the Barnet brand before. I purchased a Wildcat C5 and a Whitetail Hunter STR, the latter of which came with a protective case. Both come equipped with mounted quivers and five bolts, as well as some additional broadheads, according to the website.
Wife wants to bring in a round bale to use as a practice backstop. Is it a nice set of bows? The owner mentioned that with the C5, one must be careful with the grip since the string can grab a thumb if not careful, as it did with his wife, and that the STR provides a different grip choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know there are older crossbow threads but I wanted to start a new one due to dormancy and what I presume are improvements in technology in the past few years. Im Contemplating getting a crossbow and am curious of the groups recommendations. Im leaning towards and Excalibur. Any feedback is appreciated.
I've had a horton, pse, and a karnage apocalypse. I've had problems with the Horton and the karnage. Then I picked up a killer Instinct got home with it saw it was made the same way so now I'm selling it. Done a ton of research and I went ten point vengent crossbow much better quality than I could of imagine. I'm telling everyone to go with ten point crossbow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts