close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crp Fields

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Buckhunter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS ME AND A FEW FRIENDS HAVE HUNTED CALHOUN COUNTY ILLINOIS WITH AN OUTFITTER. ON A RECENT SCOUTING TRIP ABOUT A MONTH AGO WE FOUND THAT THE PROPERTY THAT USUALLY HAS CORN HAS BEEN LET GO INTO CRP. THAT EVENING WE DROVE AROUND THE AREA AND FOUND EVERY FIELD WITH CROPS WAS LOADED WITH DEER WHILE OUR FIELDS HAD VERY FEW. WE KNOW THE CORN FIELDS ALWAYS ATTRACTED ALOT OF DEER BUT NOW THEY ARE GONE AND WERE CONCERNED THE DEER NUMBERS ARE GOING TO DROP AS DEER MOVE TO FARMS WITH CROPS. DO YOU GUYS THINK WE ARE WORRING TO MUCH ABOUT THIS OR DO WE HAVE A RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED. WE KNOW CRP FIELDS ARE GREAT BEDDING FOR DEER BUT WITH NO CROPS WON'T THEY MOVE CLOSER TO FARMS WITH THEM. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK WE SHOULD EXPECT WHEN WE BEGIN THE WEEK LONG HUNT ON NOV. 9TH.:confused:

2. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

if you are worried use a doe decoy and doe in heat scent. Makes sence to me, i saw that on a hunt'n show.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006

3. The corn's gotta come down sometime. That'll be when the deer move in to the CRP...at least that's my guess.

4. I have hunted some CRP fields for the last 12 years and seen to have no problem getting deer in them.

5. I'm assuming that you hunt there during the Rut, so I wouldn't worry about it so much. I'm also assuming that the crops are fairly close still. If you're hunting there during the rut, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Also, just because you see several bucks in bachelor groups in soybean fields in July doesn't mean they'll still be in those same fields come November. By the time you guys start hunting there in November, those bachelor groups will have broken up; and individual members of the groups will be long gone by then. I wouldn't worry as much about the CRP...if anything it'll cause more bedding and hiding cover for the deer once the guns start booming. If you are hunting the rut, I'd try to pinpoint where does and doe groups are bedding now, because the bucks you watched in the summer will no doubt be checking those doe areas later on.

When do you guys hunt there?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  6. I see

7. Buckhunter,
    I hunt a 60 acre farm that is all CRP. I too notice the deer bed down in the CRP during the summer months. As for the hunting season....the CRP is mowed down around mid-September, the deer then just bed inside the wooded areas. For bow hunting this is an advantage being that the deer are easier to ambush in the woods rather than being bedded 150 yards out in the open. As JL mentioned the corn has to come down sometime. If there is a good acorn mast in your area they will choose that over beans or corn anyway.

8. Hopefully your outfitter had them plant some clover plots in that CRP ground.

9. When those crops come off and the weather gets chilly. Those deer will literally be stacked up in those fields. Youll be alright, deer have to bed up sometime and if there is snow on the ground, yep that will be the place to be. Set up on fingers and bottle necks that lead to and from that crp. The deer will be all over in them coming back and forth from feeding areas, especially when its cold.

10. We hunt Nov 9th -16th which hopefully the deer will be in the prime rut at this time

11. Hey Buckhunter, The CRP will act as your friend on those dates. When is Illinois' gun opener this year? The CRP can be tough for bowbenders because the does and doe groups will bed out in the middle of it, but at least the bucks will be around. This first season might be a learning experience, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You may have to adjust stands to compensate for different movement patterns but you should be alright. Have a good hunt over there.

12. Hey Dean the gun opener is the weekend following our hunt. Since we are with an outfitter we are committed to this week only. The good thing is the land is only bowhunted for three weeks so the deer are not pressured for a month in a half before our arrival. On the other hand we got the third week and will have two groups walking back and fourth to stands for two weeks before us.