close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dazed by the smell...

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by QuailDancer, Aug 31, 2005.

1. With so many choices of masking and attracting scents on the market, you can get dizzy from the fumes before making a choice on which one to buy. My concern is that so many people hunt in and around the same areas I hunt, and the vast majority I assume purchase the common scents marketed by Walmart type places...I'd like to avoid what pressured deer may have been educated to.

What scents do you folks use and have had good luck with, and which would you not recommend to your worst enemy?

2. I stick with the "less is more" theory here. I may use a little fox urine cover scent, but that's about it. The last thing I want to do is put a deer on alert because it got wind of something it hasn't or usually doesn't smell in the woods.

I've messed with tinks69, buckbeads, and some other attractants near the rut, but have not shot any deer due to scents bringing them in.

Not to say it doesn't work.... it just hasn't paid any dividends for me.

3. i personally have no luck with scents. I wear scent-lok so cover scent isnt an issue. I use to use apple scents when i hunted near apple trees but all it did was attract young dumb deer. the wise old does and bucks stayed as far away as posssible as soon as they smelled it. I think the key to success is more or less just being in the right spot at the right time. you just need to be where the deer are. good scouting will trump any calls or scents u can use to lure them in.

Personal opinion

4. Thanks, that pretty well confirms what I'd been thinking.

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Does this mean I can stop peeing on my boots?

You deer hunters are a hoot:bouncy:

6. They are certainly different. I actually enjoy going after birds or squirrels. It's more enjoyable to take the kids and the dog, talk with your friends during a hunt...but the solitude and quite of a deer hunt has it's perks too.

As far as peeing on your boots, may want to see a doctor if that condition continues.

7. I use earth scent and a military chemical suit in early season.

If the area I hunt is growing corn i place some corn husks in my hunting clothes, a couple weeks before season.

8. My personal belief is not to wear any scent. I use a scentlok suit and I shower with scent-free soap. I feel that if they smell nothing at all there is nothing to worry about. That theory has worked well for me, But I also eat PB&J, apples and drink water while sitting all day in my treestand.

MIDH

9. Ilike fresh fried bacon and eggs scent.

10. I use deer dander. it works every time. it makes you smell like the deer you are hunting instead of covering up your scent.