close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Calls

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by 410, Jul 20, 2006.

1. I was reading the 2006/2007 Indiana Hunting and Trapping Guide, and on page 14 it says:
    Infrared Sensors/Electronic Deer Calls:
    The use of infrared sensors or electronic deer calls to locate or take deer is illegal. It is also illegal to hunt or to retrieve deer with the aid of an infrared sensor or to hunt deer while possessing an electronic deer call.
    What I would like to know is how do you feel about this and if all the battery deer calls that you see at all the sports stores are they illegal? :coco: :coco: :yikes:

2. Electronic deer calls, whatever...doesn't really matter to me. However, I think that it is a shame that one can't use an infrared sensor to retrieve deer. I don't know how well they work, but if it could be the difference between a hunter finding or not finding a downed animal, why not let them use it?

3. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

i agree with:yeahthat: .

4. i am not very experienced in deer calling i've been reluctant to try it much. i'm going to this year try some rattleing and some grunting. i think if a person likes the electronics use it if it's legal.

5. I Use Grunt Calls All The Time Just Befor The Rut Starts And While The Rut Is On ,in The Early Bow Season I Use A Doe Bleat Or Fawn Bawl It Seems To Be The Most Effective. I Have An Electronic Caller That I Use For Crows It Came With Deer Calls They Sound Very Good But Cant Use Them Hunting Because Its Not Legal, Always Wondered How Inferred Trackers Would Work Never Seen One ,heard Of People Using Dogs To Track Wounded Deer Dont Know What The Big Difference Would Be, Much Rather See Them Find The Deer They Wounded Then Going Back Out And Shooting Another Deer

6. James,

I think the infared stuff could be used by a still hunter to find bedded animals. For that reason I don't think they should be leagal. If you ever need help I have a beagel. He's 14 now, but turns into a pup when there is deer blood involved.

7. I HAVE NEVER USED AN ELECTRONIC TRACKER, I UNDERSTAND THAT IT WORKS OFF INFRA-RED SIGNALS . I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WOULD GIVE ANY HUNTER AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER DEER, THAT WARRANTS THEIR BAN. IF IT HELPED A HUNTER FIND A WOUNDED ANIMAL, PERHAPS IT COULD BE BENIIFICIAL.

ELECTRONIC CALLS, IN MY OPINION FALL INTO THE " UNFAIR ADVANTAGE" CATEGORY. I HAVE USED THEM FOR PREDATOR HUNTING AND FOUND THEM SUPERIOR TO MY " BLOWN" CALLS. PERHAPS DNR FEELS IT WOULD GIVE THE HUNER AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE BECAUSE OF THEIR QUALITY.

ANOTHER THOUGHT IS THAT BOTH THESE ITEMS FALL INTO THE " WE NO NOT NEED ANYTHING ELECTRONIC IN HUNTING" CATEGORY. MANY PEOPLE FEEL THE PURITY OF HUNTING HAS BECOME CONTAMINATED BY THE VIDEO/COMPUTER AGE. TOO MANY HUNTERS SEEM TO BE SEARCHING FOR THE QUICK, EASY, LAZY WAY TO SUCCESS AND ARE NOT WILLING TO LEARN THE TRUE SKILLS OF OUR HUNTING FOREFATHERS.

8. I like to walk into my stand area yelling "here deer!", maybe whistle a little, also, usually works well for me. Saw it on a hunting show once. I am also usually running at a full on sprint.

9. Scott,

I totally understand WHY infrared tracking units are not allowed, I would just hate to see somebody lose a downed deer if it is possible one of these units could help...but, I think beagles will work better! Thanks for the heads-up!

10. I needed the help of a Carl at Shot in The Dark archery last fall on a buck that I found out the second day of tracking that I had merely grazed. The Catahulas (dog breed that I spelled wrong) were really cool. As long as they are kept on a leash, which they were, then they are legal to use. FinsNGrins can attest to how long I, and we looked for that buck. After 2.5 days of looking, with the last day using the two dogs I was satisfied that the buck wasn't dead. Prior to doming down to Garrett to help me track them, the dogs were 10 for 11 on the year on deer that people couldn't find. They get a whiff of that deer and usually find them. Pretty impressive.

I ended up seeing that same buck in early November one night tending a hot doe. I knew in my mind that he'd made it, but it was cool to see him later on....

11. Scott they can use Howie as long as he has a lead on him. He made be to fast for most guys. HA HA