close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Camp

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Does anyone do an annual deer camp during the bow or gun seasons? I've never done it but going to have a few weekends this year with camp set up. First full weekend of bow season I'm going to have my camper setup for deer camp. Really looking forward to hunting mornings and evenings and hanging out with other hunters during the day and taking their money in the evenings playing euchre. Of course one of the best parts is eating all the great grub...deer brats and purple cabbage, chili, deer burgers, fried gills on the campfire, etc., etc. I sure feel sorry for people that don't hunt or fish...they don't realize all the "other stuff" that make the experience so enjoyable besides the actual hunting and fishing. Bring your money oldrookie and seabee...I'll need the winnings to buy myself some bigger huntin' pants after eatin' all that great food!!!

2. we used to have camp for opening weekend of bow and gun. where do you guys set up camp? i am going down to Knob Creek KY. later this year. I agree there is nothing better than the comraderie of hunting buddies.

3. I am thinking about taking a week off sometime in November to deer hunt.

4. Rowdy

Rowdy

For the last 15 years the landowner that lets us hunt his property has let us use his metal pole barn for our deer camp. Its furnished with poker tables and a wood stove. He has provided another barn for us to hang deer in. During gun season there is a constant flow of hunters dropping by to talk or show off the deer they had taken that day. Plus there is a check station about 5 miles away, its really a cool set up and we always have fun.

5. Great way to experience hunting!

When I was married my brother-in-law at the time and his cousin had a deer camp in Jackson County. It was the greatest hunting experience ever! Stayed in an old tin barn that they had placed two old wood burners in that kept the place about 50-60 degrees during gun season. We slept on old army cots and cooked over an open fire outside. Great deer habitat and this is where I shot my first deer. Me and some friends now are trying to find a place to set up our annual "deer camp" so we can start our own tradition. Great times, great food, great hunting and great memories and stories!!!

6. Will be setting up camp at the local Izaak Walton League where we are members.

7. Ever since I can remember, we have a deer camp at one of the local cabins where I grew up in Dubois Co. Normally deer camp ran from Thursday night before the opening day of Firearms season all the way to the 2nd weekend of firearms season. As far as food goes, anything you can imagine is fixed during this 11 day festivity. A opening ham is cooked on the night before the firearms opener (mouth is starting to water as we speak). The normal card games include: Euchre, Cinch (most of you probably have no idea what the heck this game is except Scrapewatcher), point rum (dime a point, poker, etc. As much as I love to bow hunt, this the week I look forward to all year long.

8. Hey Tree, let me know when you guys are going to be out there, I would enjoy padding my pockets full of money!!:cheeky-sm

9. joshs, i grew up in Pike County did you go to Jasper? when did you graduate?

10. I HAVE DEER CAMP EVERY WEEKEND FROM OCTOBER TO DECEMBER. MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SHARE MY 24 X 24 CABIN. WE HUNT MORNINGS AND EVENINGS AND WATCH FOOTBALL GAMES DURING MID DAY AND AT NIGHT. I CAN`T WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE, MY WIFE MIGHT FEEL OTHERWISE, BUT BY NOW SHE IS USED TO IT.

11. I graduated from Northeast Dubois in 99!

12. we have a pontoon that has all the beds and fixins that we stay on all the time throughout deer season. weekends we head down to the lake and stay on it throughout deer season. many laughs and good times have been had on the boat and i look forward to more the second week of october.

13. Setting up camp mid-week next week and will be camping Fri. & Sat. night, Oct. 6 & 7. I may start camping on Thursday night, work Friday and take off a little early for an evening hunt to start off the weekend. Come on out, your money is as welcome as anyone else's. :cwm27:

14. atm card

Cards????....bring ATM card with you tree! Don't worry about bigger pants....I'll bring extra set. 36s right?;)

oldrookie

15. we have deer camp every weekend through all the seasons. We all get together camp and cook over the open fire during the whole weekend.