close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Decoys

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Just wondering how many of you out there use or have used deer decoys to assist in deer hunting. I have read many articles on using them and have also used them myself. Two years ago I made my first bow kill using a doe decoy taking a 7 point buck. In experimenting with them I have seen both extremes...bringing deer charging in to the decoy and also spooking deer. Even though when the deer eventually spook, it does seem to spark their curiosity and bring them closer or into in an area where they may not have come without the decoy. I have only used the doe decoy exclusively but this year I am going to put the rack on it to see what kind of action it brings with the bucks. Interestingly, I have had more curious does come into the decoy than I have bucks. Over the past few years I have used a Riverbottom Buck decoy, which is a 3D shooting target. I break it down and carry it to the woods in a duck decoy bag and assemble in the woods. This year I am going to try to go to the lighter weight fold out decoys and use multiple decoys to imitate a group of deer. Let us know of any experiences you have had with decoying deer, anything we can do to get one step closer to them should increase our success.

2. Tree, the Renzo foldout type are great. I've used the doe, the buck and both together...I've also had mixed results where some days the deer come in close, other days they seem to spook. You could carry in a herd of 20 if you were up to the task they are so light weight. Once I had a coyote attack the buck decoy...circled behind and bit his tail.

I use them early season, once shotgun opens, I don't feel safe using them. Keep the decoys 20 yrds or less from your stand, or you'll just bring deer in to the decoy but out of range for bow. Not sure it matters, but I never have the decoy's head facing my stand either.

3. got 2 decoys delta first time to try this season gonna be interesting

4. I hunt with Renzo decoys quite a bit. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I enjoy seeing how deer will react.

Here are a couple I shot last December while using decoys.

[​IMG]

5. Great picture Dec! Man December was cold lastyear.

6. SWEET DEC!!! I definitely have to get some of those babies. They are so realistic and have to be much easier to pack in than the 3D target I've been carrying around the past couple of years.

7. Tree, once you use them, you'll never tote a 3D back to the woods again. Man, that's almost like workin.

8. THEY ARE VERY REALISTIC LOOKING. I`VE HUNTED SOME PLACES WHERE I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT HAVING MY DECOY SHOT RIGHT OUT UNDERNEATH ME. I THINK THAT IF I HUNTED OPEN FIELDS OR FOOD PLOTS FREQUENTLY, I WOULD CONSIDER GIVING THEM A TRY. BEING THAT I HUNT IN VERY WOODED AREAS, I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH BENIFIT THEY WOULD HAVE.