close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Decoys

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by rackstalker, Oct 19, 2006.

1. This time of year is it better to use a buck decoy or a doe decoy or does it matter??????

2. I used a buck decoy on Sunday...it didn't matter...I didn't see squat! :yikes:

2 years ago around this timeframe I used a doe decoy and had a smallish 7 pointer come charging in on it, awesome site. I ended up taking him since it was my first bow kill opportunity. Good luck!

3. To me it doesn't matter that much weather you put out a buck decoy or a doe. In general, I believe the doe decoy looks like less of a threat, but think either will work. If you're using full body decoys, I'd maybe hold off using a buck until later in the season. I use the Renzo decoys, very lite and easy to carry several. I often will use a doe and a buck decoy at the same time with the buck standing off to the side and behind the doe. Keep them as free from odors as you can, and keep them Close to your stand! If you set them up at 20 yards, you may have a deer that comes in, but holds off at 40yds...you want them closer. Not certain it really matters, but I always face the decoys head looking away from my stand and about 90 degrees to my shooting lanes, I want any deer the decoy brings in to be broadside to me and looking away. They are fun, but it's a hit and miss thing, sometimes they work, other times they don't.