close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

depth finders

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by catdaddy75, Mar 11, 2006.

1. hey guys dont know anything about fishfinders, just bought a boat and it had one, a x 37 tx lowrance, was wondering if anyone had any info on how to make sense of what it is displaying.was reading the instructs and it said archs meant fish,grey areas could be soft bottoms and so on.is there a easy way of being able to read one?thanks for any help or tips

2. Hey, Cat...I have a Lowrance X45, and it has a Fish ID (as do most) mode. When the Fish ID is turned on, you don't have to determine whether or not the arcs are fish or not. It will display a fish symbol. Other than that, usually, the lighter the bottom color, the softer the bottom is. I would suggest going to a lake you are familiar with and play around with the unit to try and figure it out.

3. Howdy, I own an X 85. The best I can tell you is read the instructions. After that all you have to do is read the instructions, and when you finish that...read them again, and again, and again.

If it has an auto mode, that would probably be your best bet to start. It takes awhile to become used to the grayline, getting fish to look like true arcs (not easy). I use mine mainly in Minnesota walleye fishing. As most good fisherman (I'm not one of these...by the way) will tell you, seeing fish (arcs, blips, etc.) is second to knowing the depth. Remember that the transducer is only reading a small % of the bottom. While seeing fish is helpful, the fishfinder doesn't always show fish, even when there may be some nearby. And, I have yet to see the fishfinder that has the display "Stop here...these fish are biting"! feature.

With that said, I can tell you that many times I've seen fish (not necessarily perfect arcs) and told my partners to get ready. A lot of times, we pick up a few. Just keep playing with your little computer until you become familiar with it. In time, you'll get better and better. Have fun with your new "toy".

4. Catdaddy, I'm not sure if your model has the automatic mode or not, however all sonars work in similar fashion, they send a series of "clicks" toward the bottom, and read them as they bounce back to the transducer. The bigger the arch the bigger the signal from the bottom is (supposedly the bigger the fish) If you go over some muck or silt it tends not to bounce the signal back as well, your unit will interpret these weak indications for you and display a grey line (Area) keeping you aware of water depth (alway good to know when boating) however, the grey line indicates a weak signal because the units computer is translating or calculating it for you, the water may be deeper or shallower than indicated.
    The other nice thing about fish finders/sonar it lets you know where the thermocline is, that area generally will be between 1/2 way and 3/4 the way to the bottom. Most fish feed right at or just below the thermocline. Fish finders pick this up because the density of water thickens as it gets colder, you may see a ghost line about 1/2 way down on your screen with "Archs" below it, you will want to set your lures to run about as deep as that line indicates.
    As a rule most folks don't catch fish even when the fish finder screen is loaded because they fish too deep!:yikes: Fish are predators they hunt and feed by stealth, meaning the will come up to feed, rather than go down. (They will defend their territory, or strike out of anger below)

You have a good unit, it will take some getting used to, but once you figure it out you'll never be without one again.

Good Luck, and "Fish-on!" :fish:
    "Sparky"

5. thanks for all the helpful info fellas,it is greatly appreciated and as soon as the monsoon is over down here ill get out and try it out

6. Most Excellent!!

Very good Steelheader!!

7. Cat, once you get out there with that finder, it will all become apparent, and you'll never leave home without it again.