Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone in the southwestern portion fish from a kayak? I am looking to do more trips around the area.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I almost bought a yak this year. I usually fish the strip pits around dugger from a jon boat with trolling motor.

I was talking with a guy at Airline lake. He was fishing from a hobie mirage that had the foot paddles. He said he loved it and it looked like a blast to fish from. They seem a bit pricey for my first kayak. Plus I want something I can use in the river. I was looking at the future beach angler (about $350) at Dunhams.

It is about a 2 hr drive for me to greene/sullivan. I like the idea of being able to throw the boat in the truck, rather than worrying about the trailer or trolling motor battery. I'm just not sure what I need to look for in a kayak and things to go with it.I'd appreciate any advice I can get before I buy one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im about 1 hour from Greene Sullivan and have fished a couple of spots from there. My brother in law and my sister both have hobie kaka and they are amazing. I am like yourself and have to go a bit cheaper. I personally prefer sit on top kayaks for the stability. Bass pro shops have descent priced in the fs 12 sit on top and is very stable with plenty of room.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I normally fish from a canoe or bank fish when I fish the strip pits around Lynnville IN.
I have hooked into a few catfish that pulled me around for a while until they got tired & got reeled in.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I fish from a kayak up in Northern IN on ponds. Lots of fun! I keep a small tackle box in the bunge cord infront of me, and use a "high tech" rope that I tie the paddle to, so if I get into a big fish I don't become helpless. A fish basket hanging off the side is a nice addition also. If you are hot- pull your feet out of the yak, and hang over the edge.
Try trolling while paddling. In the ponds I fish- a medium rapala puts the hurt on bass pulled behind the yak. The pulses of paddling make it stop and start behind the boat.
A fly rod is major fun too! Make sure to wear a life jacket, and no worries.
You can get CLOSE to fish with gentle paddles.
Hope open water sees you yaking it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have never fished from a kayak, but I have from a buggy. We would fish the pits in SW IN and Sugar Ridge DNR area with the inflatables. It was a blast. We would us either fly gear or most of the time Ultra Lights with Flies tied on the string. We land some nice fish and what a fight you get. The other benefit was you would catch all kinds of fish all day long since it was such light gear. If you don't mind getting wet, it def could be worth the investment. Good Luck fishing and Tight Lines.

Dan

http://evansvillebassmasters.webs.com

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just picked up my first yak, going to give it a try.
Got a good deal on a new yak from a black Friday sale at Dick's, just got to wait until the weather & water warms up a little.
I like the size of this kayak, I can haul it around by my self, should be a lot of fun.
My 17.5' Coleman 3 man canoe was just too much for one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just picked up my first yak, going to give it a try.
Got a good deal on a new yak from a black Friday sale at Dick's, just got to wait until the weather & water warms up a little.
I like the size of this kayak, I can haul it around by my self, should be a lot of fun.
My 17.5' Coleman 3 man canoe was just too much for one.
Yeah I had a mad river adventure 14 ft because my family said get a canoe and we will all go out, a year later I traded it for a yak should have gone with my first instinct haha

·
Registered
385 Posts
My husband and I have wanted to get two for the past year or so. We travel quite a bit since he works on the road and would love to just be able to throw them in and go. We're in the same boat as you, especially with needin two, as far as keeping the cost down. And its so hard to figure out what the best kind is because its not like u can take it for a test drive, so you're spending the money only on reviews. But eventually I know we'll get them! I think the stability of them (from watching the fishin shows) is amazing and would be a ton of fun!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think it would be interesting to try but I would much rather be in a boat. I use to fish from a canoe in the St. Croix River in Wisconsin. I would cruise up current paddleing as hard as I could but there were a few holes that I would slay Smalleys. I would catch the occasional Northern and Muskie. Then the catfish after dark from shore was awesome.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok ive got a few yaks the oldtown 10 ft vapor is my fave fast stabel and 325lb weight capas
I also have vertex bubd the shoe 250lb trcking terabal slow and no foot pegs but use it just toss your pack in the front and put ur feet on it
But only cost $180. At dicks and vary stable
Got the potomac 100 9 ft 250lb capas it cost $250. Tracking good prety fast stabel but its made real cheep not varrt strong but that meens its light weight I use it alot but I wouldnt buy a nother becas it prob wont last much longer the pegs on seat rub thro the hull
I also have a dimension escapade made by old town 8 1/2 ft fast varry stable good tracking 270 weight capas and strong if your looking at kayaks old town prob wat u want realy good yaks and not 2 much I thik the 2 was rite around $600 like $300 each dont quote me on that tho not posative but I like sit in yaks if you want a skt on top I have no idea on em but I think oldtown the cadalak of yaks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a new Pelican Catch Pwr 100 that has a battery box and all wired up already for trolling motor and has back (stern -I think its called) mount for just putting the trolling motor or a 2.5hp gas motor on. Got it registered, waiting on stickers. I live in northern Indiana and theres like a thousand small lakes to fish with a kayak up here. Panfish, bass, just about anything. Here's a picture of it after I just rigged it up and took it out for a cruise on a farm pond. It really zips along with only a 24# thrust kayak trolling motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mistake, my Pelican Catch pwr 100 uses a 36# thrust newport vessels yak trolling motor (short shaft, light weight).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts