close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does during archery

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by tilesetter, Oct 1, 2006.

1. I grew up thinking passing on does was the way to go,,,grow the herd? Any way after reading a lot of info on this forum about getting the doe to buck ratio at a better rate. I thought going after does during early season would be easier, I seem to see more does anyhow! I have gotten busted by more does this season than ever before, hunting does is tough to do!But I still am resolved to letting basket racks pass! Any one else find it tough to hunt does or is it just me?

2. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I have no problem killing the first doe that walks by me! as long as its not a yearling, there just isnt enough meat to justify the price of processing a little one but i have no problem with someone who does.

3. Does are ALWAYS on the alert and very tough to kill. They are a great challenge.

4. Tile, I was thinking about this earlier this evening. The very best time to kill a doe is when she comes up and gives you a gimme shot. Don't worry what part of season it is because you may not get another chance. There are plenty of deer out there, and if you kill a doe in a spot chances are that a different one will move into that area. Thinning out does is one of the smartest things you can do for the herd that you hunt. Generally, there are more deer out there than many people think. Besides, they're excellent on the grill......

5. I just fullfilled my duty as a hunter at thinning the doe herd, she was alittle over 100 pounds, that going to be some mighty fine eatin.:biggrin: :biggrin:

6. congrats coonslayer:woohoo1:

7. Tile, I think big does are VERY hard to hunt, and anyone should feel rewarded for taking one. I think it's much easier to get busted by does.

Coonslayer, congrates on your doe, good job.

8. Doe hunting is a blast. Early in the year, it is pretty easy (at least in my part of the world). Set up right in a funnel, play the wind, and they are in your lap. BUT ... as the season moves on, it can be just as tough to bag a doe as it is a mature buck. They catch on real fast to hunting pressure.

When the hunting gets tough later in the year, I like to get down out of the stand and still hunt them where they bed. Play the wind and take it slow. You will get busted a lot, but it sure is more fun than sitting in a tree hoping something walks by.

Nothing wrong with taking does. Just plain fun if you ask me.:biggrin:

9. Had two beefy does under me this morning that didn't wind me, but they sure knew something wasn't right. They're sneaky!

10. My sign on "bambicide" kinda says it all...knock the fuzz off 'em. The same is true for most of the hunters I know. When I started hunting 30 years ago any deer was a big deal. We have few a heads on the wall...mostly thanks to my little brother...but we aren't really antler hunters.

11. I HAVE NO PROBLEM SHOOTING A DOE WITH MY BOW. I USALLY GET ONE ABOUT THE SECOND WEEKEND OF BOW SEASON. IT IS NICE TO FINALLY GET TO SHOOT SOMETHING BESIDES A BAG TARGET. ALSO IT TAKES A LITTLE PRESSURE OFF, AND YOU CAN HUNT MORE SELECTIVELY. AS THE SEASON GOES ON THE DOES GET ALOT MORE WEARY, AND ARE HARDER TO GET A SHOT ON.

12. The move to allow bowhunters to fill their bonus tags during the early season was the best thing the DNR has done in a while well at least 3-4 years. (uggghhhhmm OBR) I will not shoot a doe during the firearms season, you are killing your bait. But early bow season, muzzleloader, and late bow season... yeah baby there is nothing like shooting a nice fat mature doe. They are by far the smartest critters we have in the woods. Bucks are very smart but they get stupid too. Does never lose that edge... thats what makes them so hard to kill a couple weeks into the season. Today is monday, that means only four more days of work and I get to go hunting. wooohooo.

13. I too love the "bonus" system in early archery. In years past I never shot a second doe in early season in hopes of shooting a buck with the bow.

Now it's free reign (at least within couny quota) :biggrin:

And it's already Jon-1 , Does-0.....but somehow I have a feeling they'll even the score throughout the season....clever little ladies!:evilsmile

14. Good target practice for steading the nerves for hpefully what comes later and getting that "good shot feeling" back in your belly. Confidence is everything.

15. Thanks :)