Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Dogs in the deer woods!!!

7K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  GCMC 
#1 ·
The last several weekends that I have hunted I have had neighbors dogs in my woods jumping up deer. Its more than frustrating when you sit there 5 hours in 20 degree weather waiting on primetime 10am-2pm and all i see is white flashes being chased by dogs. I need some helpful tips on combating this problem. Its not like im hunting urban, this is hilly southern Indiana ridges about 200 acres worth with farmland all around me. I cant hurt a dog but I would like to keep them off of my property. Someone suggested a paintball gun. They said this would show the owner of the dogs that they have been in trouble. In past years i have got the dogs to come to me and i have duct taped notes to the owners on the dogs. That worked for awhile. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys!

#4 ·
Dogs are supposed to be kept on a leash, in a pen, or in the house. If they are out running around it is apparent the owners do not care about them. If the problem persists shoot them.

#7 ·
Dogs are bad in the woods. I hate to shoot them but if it comes down to it they must go. Hell Eric shoots cats too.
Fedral cats...not someones PET there is a difference....;)

#9 ·
most counties have ordinances against dogs running at large so check the county you hunt in...if your's prohibits loose dogs i suggest reminding the owner of this and if they continue to run through your hunting woods then there is nothing wrong with destroying them...and feral cats are worse than coyotes espically on the bunnies so if you see one of those take it out...:evilsmile

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is such a touchy issue. I've been reading everyone's posts to see the reaction. In my opinion, bottom line is... you hunt on someone else's property you tolerate his and his neighbor's dogs.... you're his guest. You shoot...or are suspected of shooting...one of their dogs and your gone.
In 25 years of hunting the area, we've only shot at one dog... that was this year. My bro and his buddies did not recognize the dog and checked with the farmers. Twice during bow season, after shooting the deer, the dog had found the deer before they did. Luckily little damage was done to the first...the second was more torn up.
On my own property or especially on public land...I would not be so patient.
I forgot to mention...the dog never made it to deer number three...boom!

#11 ·
Are there tags on the dog? If so I'd do everything in my power to locate the owner and have a talk with them. If it continues....I'd probably try to shoot with a pellet gun first to discourage. If the problem continues after that....I'd probably put it down for good. I hate to say that, but if it's truly someones cherished pet, they wouldn't let it run wild on others property.

#13 ·
Dogs are supposed to be kept on a leash, in a pen, or in the house. If they are out running around it is apparent the owners do not care about them. If the problem persists shoot them.
i'm a firm believer in this also
i have an outdoor dog i think the owners are responsible for the dog at all times if they choose to let them roam around they take the chance of not coming back home if i see a dog running deer i will try to take it down they can be alot more dangerous to you, your kids and the deer heard they will turn wild

#15 ·
This is such a touchy subject.

Personally, I've only ever shot two dogs, in both instances it was with a 20 ga that had shot in it and both just got their back sides peppered as a warning to never come back. Neither ever did to my knowledge.

I've been deer hunting and had a dog or two come through. Every time it has happened, I've gotten aggravated, but I tell myself it was probably some kids. I always just try and get there attention and tell them to get out of here. Usually works.

Now if I had a problem dog that was doing damage, then I'd practice the 3-S's without hesitation.

Cats ... well ... I hate cats. They usually take a dirt nap if they come around while I'm out hunting. Sorry if that is not P.C., but it is the way it is when I have a bow in my hand.

#16 ·
:protest_e feral cats! Some of those dogs can be big and scary, and some of them have collars and are miles away from home! You can pretty much tell by how they act if they have gone wild and whether or not they need to take a dirt nap. Irresponsible dog owners make me angry.

#17 ·
There is a beagle running around an area I hunt....no collar just runs and barks everywhere. All the neighbors in the area have their dogs penned or tied up. The dang thing tried to follow me in the woods a few weeks ago. I ran after it and it ran away.....but then the stupid thing sat and barked for 20 minutes. I wanted to put him down but I park 50 yards from the neighbors house.....just wounldn't look very sportsman like. I hope he just moves on but next time I see him he will probably be put down. I hate to do it but I know he is running the deer and turkeys. Just a bad situation that I wish would go away.

#18 ·
My dog ran away last spring. It's not like my wife and I are irresponsible dog owners. We were outside working, and got busy for about five minutes...that's all it took for my lab to hit the road. Luckily, someone found her and tied her up. I was thinking that if this had happened during deer season, and someone shot her upon seeing her, I would probably be upset. I think if it's a recurring problem, steps need to be taken, but I don't think all dogs in the woods should be shot.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#22 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the posts---all the things said have been through my mind at one time or another.... For some reason unless the dog is mean I cannot shoot a friendly dog!!!!!! Ive had this property all my life since my grandparents owned it and willed it to me so I have encountered dogs on it alot. It surrounds farmland so lots of neighbors with dogs. Thanks for the ideas!

#23 ·
We sure dont need the anti-hunters reading about us shooting the neighbors dog. We should probably delete this thread all together.
The question was posed...we answered it. To the anti-hunters I quote Jack Nicholson from a "A Few Good Men"..."You want the truth???" "You can't handle the truth!!!"

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
most counties have ordinances against dogs running at large so check the county you hunt in...if your's prohibits loose dogs i suggest reminding the owner of this and if they continue to run through your hunting woods then there is nothing wrong with destroying them...and feral cats are worse than coyotes espically on the bunnies so if you see one of those take it out...:evilsmile
ddw is right about the county ordinances. check with your local c.o. or sheriff's department (the dog law in morgan county allows you to shoot if a loose dog is endangering your life or your property... i.e. livestock) - there have been cases where hunters who shot loose dogs were taken to civil court.

#26 ·
I believe anyone can sue you for killing thier dog (cat?), even if it is trespassing and dangerous, especially if it is valuable and they find the correct attorney and judge. Regardless of the leash law. So, think before you shoot, because you could be out a lot of money defending yourself. Or, make sure the offending animal disappears.:hide:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.