Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the posts---all the things said have been through my mind at one time or another.... For some reason unless the dog is mean I cannot shoot a friendly dog!!!!!! Ive had this property all my life since my grandparents owned it and willed it to me so I have encountered dogs on it alot. It surrounds farmland so lots of neighbors with dogs. Thanks for the ideas!

We sure dont need the anti-hunters reading about us shooting the neighbors dog. We should probably delete this thread all together.
The question was posed...we answered it. To the anti-hunters I quote Jack Nicholson from a "A Few Good Men"..."You want the truth???" "You can't handle the truth!!!"

most counties have ordinances against dogs running at large so check the county you hunt in...if your's prohibits loose dogs i suggest reminding the owner of this and if they continue to run through your hunting woods then there is nothing wrong with destroying them...and feral cats are worse than coyotes espically on the bunnies so if you see one of those take it out...:evilsmile
ddw is right about the county ordinances. check with your local c.o. or sheriff's department (the dog law in morgan county allows you to shoot if a loose dog is endangering your life or your property... i.e. livestock) - there have been cases where hunters who shot loose dogs were taken to civil court.

I believe anyone can sue you for killing thier dog (cat?), even if it is trespassing and dangerous, especially if it is valuable and they find the correct attorney and judge. Regardless of the leash law. So, think before you shoot, because you could be out a lot of money defending yourself. Or, make sure the offending animal disappears.:hide:

If I interpet Indiana law correctly,you can not shoot a dog unless it is molesting livestock.There are several cases of people being prosecuted for shooting coonhounds that had wondered onto their property.Very expensive losses for the guy who pulled the trigger.I personally think if that I must keep fido leashed or penned up and off of other peoples property,then others must do the same.I put to much time and energy and money into deer hunting to let some irresponsible dog owner ruin my hunt.Fido is going to take a dirt nap or float trip pretty quick,and he is not coming back.

While I'm not above dropping a pesky pooch that can't be taught to stay home, have you thought about looking for some of those pepper spray filled paintballs that police use?

My dad and I burried our antlers about 3 months ago to clean them. We put weight on top of a barrel over the anlters so no critters would get into it. One day I walked out to it and it was tipped over. When I looked in my antlers were fine, but my dad's were gone! A dog had dug under it and tipped it over. We never did find the antlers, and will never forget that when wer'e in the woods.

The farm I hunt the owner said any dog running deer,cows or any other livestock will not go home including his. And if I have a problem with that he will get someone else to hunt. Cats are done for sure very bad for all small game and his chickens. I have been told in marshall county there is a law on the books stating it is against the law to allow domestic livestock to roam at will.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.