Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Dogs in the deer woods!!!

7K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  GCMC 
#1 ·
The last several weekends that I have hunted I have had neighbors dogs in my woods jumping up deer. Its more than frustrating when you sit there 5 hours in 20 degree weather waiting on primetime 10am-2pm and all i see is white flashes being chased by dogs. I need some helpful tips on combating this problem. Its not like im hunting urban, this is hilly southern Indiana ridges about 200 acres worth with farmland all around me. I cant hurt a dog but I would like to keep them off of my property. Someone suggested a paintball gun. They said this would show the owner of the dogs that they have been in trouble. In past years i have got the dogs to come to me and i have duct taped notes to the owners on the dogs. That worked for awhile. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys!

#27 ·
If I interpet Indiana law correctly,you can not shoot a dog unless it is molesting livestock.There are several cases of people being prosecuted for shooting coonhounds that had wondered onto their property.Very expensive losses for the guy who pulled the trigger.I personally think if that I must keep fido leashed or penned up and off of other peoples property,then others must do the same.I put to much time and energy and money into deer hunting to let some irresponsible dog owner ruin my hunt.Fido is going to take a dirt nap or float trip pretty quick,and he is not coming back.

#29 ·
My dad and I burried our antlers about 3 months ago to clean them. We put weight on top of a barrel over the anlters so no critters would get into it. One day I walked out to it and it was tipped over. When I looked in my antlers were fine, but my dad's were gone! A dog had dug under it and tipped it over. We never did find the antlers, and will never forget that when wer'e in the woods.

#32 ·
The farm I hunt the owner said any dog running deer,cows or any other livestock will not go home including his. And if I have a problem with that he will get someone else to hunt. Cats are done for sure very bad for all small game and his chickens. I have been told in marshall county there is a law on the books stating it is against the law to allow domestic livestock to roam at will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.