close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double barrel shotguns

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by DaWG of Indpls, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I currently use an inexpensive Russian made S/S. It is not a bad gun. I am in the market to buy a new DB. I really don't have a preference for an O/U or S/S. I know I do not want to spend a bunch of money. I also know I only want a single trigger gun. I borrowed a friends' Remington O/U for a Pheasant hunt and really liked the way it handled/shot.

I would like to hear from many of you about the different DB shotguns you own/use.

DaWG

2. Dawg, I'm a far cry from an expert on guns but I'll give you my 2cents worth.
    I also shoot a s/s, have bought extra choke tubes for it, know how it patterns and I'm comfortable with it (that's the biggest thing). I know from attending a fair amount of hunt tests and field trials as well as time spent shooting trap and skeet that the large majority of shooters are using o/u guns.
    I tend to think that guns actually used in the field take a good deal of abuse, packing in and out of vehicals, bad weather, bumps and dings...I wouldn't spend a big chunk of change on a gun for this reason. If you shoot a lot of trap and skeet...maybe I'd spend a little more, especially if that saved weight on the gun, my s/s gets pretty heavy after a day of following the dog and looking for birds.

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I'm also looking for a new double--either a SXS or an O/U in 28 guage.

I have a 12 Browning Citori (which I bought 25 years ago, used for 500.00) and a 20 Citori (which I do most of my hunting with, for under 1000.00 about 12 years ago)

I'd love to get a new Citori but the cost is too much. I was at Gander Mountain in Coldwater a couple of weeks ago and they had three SXS..I think they were Huglu's...maybe CZ's...but really can't remember. I liked the way they looked and felt, but can't remember what the cost...not too expensive, I remember.

Also talked to a guy at Dick's who just bought a Verona o/u. He said it was a good gun.

I'm still looking for that 28 guage

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  4. Double barrel

QD

I don't shoot enough trap or skeet to worry with that issue. I like to walk the fields behind a dog. The S/S I have now is light enough, but I just have the itch to get a different DB. I am thinking I don't want to spend over $500. If I could find a good used gun, I would buy that. $500 on a used gun would probably get me a pretty nice gun...I would think?

5. Cary - I just bought a new Franchi Veloce 28 gauge O/U for $750 from Dick's. It came with 3 chokes (IC, MOD, and Full). Wood looks like a fence post but the gun is extremely light and it's a 28 gauge so it weighs like 5 pounds!!!
    It's a dream. I've always wanted one and now me and Dick Cheney can go quail hunting together.

Jack

6. Jack and Cary, just curious, you both seem to like the 28g, may I ask why?
    Does the 28 offer advantages for upland birds?

7. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Jack, that's the one I saw bought. I've heard a lot of good about it, and nothing bad. I'm going to seriously look into it.

Jack and Cary, just curious, you both seem to like the 28g, may I ask why?
    Does the 28 offer advantages for upland birds?

Quail, it's just another toy to play with. I've seen guys knock down wild pheasant with 410's. If you're over a good pointing dog, and are a pretty good shot (and if you're as old and have been hunting as long as Jack and I) it can be an effective shotgun.

8. What he said. I have 20's and 12's and have never had a 28 so why not?

Jack

9. New guns, I got it, say no more, say no more!;)

10. Like Cary, I lucked into a deal with a new in box 12g Citori Lightning. Fabulous gun both functionally and aesthetically, but there is no way that I would spend the money for a new one. My problem is that I hate to take the gun out, because when people that are good shooters watch me, I feel like I am branded as a poser with more money than skills...though I can't deny that the skills need a serious upgrade...

11. Indy Archer - I used to be the worst shot in the world. I mean the entire world. I just kept banging away and now I'm probably right up there in the average category. I don't don't feel like I have to prove anything to anybody. I love shooting. I love hunting. Somedays I wish hunting could be catch and release but it isn't. On those days I take the dog and sometimes forget to load my gun. Drives my buddy nuts. When we go out Wednesday with the new gun I'll shoot a couple and then it's all on him. LOL.

Jack

12. I have too many damn hobbies. With all the time that I I spend shooting my bow, tailgating all fall in West Lafayette, fishing, practicing and playing golf, etc. - I simply haven't put the time into becoming a better shot. I have an 8 week sabbatical in September and October and two big goals are A) to spend a lot of time afield and get a chance at a big buck and B) get some help and spend some time busting clays. Despite all this baggage, I love getting out and just being out there - even if I am a long shot to actually knock something done. Always gives my close buddies something to chuckle about....

13. I see you live in Fishers. There are several folks at Indiana Gun Club ready to help you improve you shooting right around the corner. Give them a call and I'm sure they can hook you up with a competent instructor.

14. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

15. If you ask any of my buddies, they will tell you that anything that I do cannot possibly make me worse....