close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dove hunters?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ice dude, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Do we have any Dove hunters in here? I think i might go shoot a few over in mongo next weekend.

2. I never have hunted doves but would love to try. I've seen more on my drives back and forth to work this year than I ever remember seeing in years past.

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Just talked to one of our teachers. He went to Huntington and said there were quite a few birds there. Shot a box of shells and got two. Probably pretty good shooting.

4. dad and i saw hundreds of doves working sunflower patches just north of mongo by Troxel Lake on the state ground. yea that could be good shooting them little doves are good fliers. I think it will be good practice for my up coming pheasant hunt.

5. What's a good load to use on doves?

6. i have a gravel pit that the doves love to roost at. can limit out in no time. I dont do that much dove hunting anymore around here after i took my trip to Argentina. i had three days that i killed 1000 each day. It definetly spoiled me for hunting around here but damn was it a blast

7. quail

I mostly just use my reload shells that i have for sporting clays. They are 7 1/2 lead. They have a high BB count and you can shoot them all day without any fatigue. If you have a reloader you can buy a couple boxes and keep using them for a couple seasons

8. after a morning goose hunt(no luck), and dinner, i decided to walk some old RR tracks with my shorthair for doves. About 5 min. after i loaded my gun, he jumped a group of about 50 from the gravel beside the tracks. I shot 2 and they kept coming back. Ended up wiith 5 doves out of 8 shots fired; I felt pretty lucky.

9. Sounds like a blast Smitty!

I really need to give the dove hunting a try.

10. I've went twice now and got nothin, except for the one I shot outta my tree at home before I left... Last night we ended up shooting at a bunch of starlings that kept flying over. I promise there is at least 10-25,000 starlings flying around here in a big ol group. Problem was they were to high after a couple of shots you couldn't hardly hit em. Using just the cheap shells ya get at wally world. Any suggestions? I us a 12G with a super duper turkey choke.

Alan

11. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I think your best luck is with light loads (they'll pattern better) and as wide open a choke you have....nothing wrong with improved or even skeet chokes.

You'll be surprised how open chokes will help hit them. Then again, they're so hard to hit, you might as well just throw sticks at them:dizzy:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  12. I've been meaning to pick up a set of skeet chokes for my side by side. I picked up a set but they didn't fit my gun, so I'll need to return them and try a different set. I'm sure that it would make a big differnce at the range as well.

13. i have been shooting improved in the top and modified in the bottom of my o/u. and game loads. i think when we go hunt the pheasant in oct. i am gonna get some heavy game loads.

14. Hmmmm.....

I was thinking ( dangerous things might happen...), that the tighter choke you have wouldn't that slow the whole wad down some? I'm thinking for getitng out there further it might be better to do like you said use an improved choke. Is there any truth to that?

15. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I don't believe that a tighter choke slows down the load (just like a 30" barrel doesn't shoot any farther than a 26" barrel.)

I do know that just one pellet can bring a bird down....so, it seems practical to spread the pattern out.