close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eating Woodchucks?

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Noblebowhunter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. :corkysm55 mmm mmmm ..... was wondering if any of you..... wait a minute this is Indiana..... how many :) of you have eatin woodchucks(groundhogs) before? I have heard that the young ones can be quite tasty. At the end of the March a few buddies and i have a small get together for some fine dinin on woodland creatures and thinking about tryin out some young woodchuck. Any inputs?? ways to cook them or anything? Goggleyes i know you have tried them youve ate everything that walks the earth at some point in time. ;)

2. I had once that had been roasted on a rack in the oven so that the grease could drip away. We cooked it until it was falling apart tender. Not bad.

It was very young....maybe 3 lbs dressed.

It would probably make a pretty good Pulled 'Hog Barbque.

3. 410 has a good recipe:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

4. My Grandmother used to pressure cook them. I couldn't stand to be in the house when they were cooking because of the "aroma..." but they tricked me into eating some with some barbeque sauce and had I not known what it was I may have acquired a taste for it.

Needless to say every spring I would take grandma a few young-uns for her special bar-b-q, somehow, I always had to leave before it was ready though..

5. OH yes, ground hogs are great to eat, Man I have fixed them about 100 different ways and they all were good. When shooting them hit them in the head.

6. well the head shots the plan.... i figure a couple days prior to the event there will be plenty of hog huntin.

7. THis thread begs the age old question: How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood???? Enquiring minds want to know????:banghead3

8. None if its a head shot:cheeky-sm

9. Purdue University School of Forestry studies have determined the average volume of wood chucking to be 3 cords to the hour. (Dewey, Skruem and Howell, et al. 1974)
    :bonk:

10. had some one time that was baracued and was pretty good.

11. the young ones are good fried like squirrel or rabbit - they taste like squirrel or rabbit. (not like chicken):)

12. I'm beginning to think if it has hair on it 410 will eat it.

13. No comment.........:rolleyes:

14. Thank You!!!!!