close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

edibility rules for Morels

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by goggleye57, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Kind of fun and interesting-

[font=Arial, Verdana, Sans Serif][size=-1][size=+0]Edibility Rules for Morels[/size]

by Michael Kuo

The only sure way to distinguish between morels and false morels is to have years of experience under your belt. That said, however, there are easily recognized differences between them, and I see no good reason for anyone to get confused. Please see our Morels Section for extensive information. Please also read our Disclaimer.

Rule Number One: When in doubt, throw it out!

If you are not 100 percent sure your mushroom is a morel, why would you even think about eating it?

Rule Number Two: If it ain't hollow, don't swallow!

Morels are hollow. Slice open a black, yellow, or half-free morel, and you will find only air (and bugs, if you haven't cleaned it), from top to bottom. Slice open a false morel, and you'll find mushroom flesh. Sometimes the flesh of a false morel is interspersed with air pockets, creating a "chambered" effect--but there is flesh present. Consequently, false morels weigh more than morels. If you hear someone bragging about how much a morel weighed before he ate it, you are speaking to an idiot.

Rule Number Three: If it's wavy, don't make it gravy!

The caps of false morels are often wavy, rather than pitted. The pits on morels are not, on very close inspection, symmetrical, but they are very regular when compared to the lobed, wavy, brain-like structure of the false morel cap. Here, by the way, we encounter a problem with some of the common names for morels: "brain mushrooms" and "sponge mushrooms." Do not rely on what you picture from these common names! False morels are better described as "brain-like" than morels, and either kind of mushroom could conceivably be described as "sponge-like."

Rule Number Four: If it's reddish, you could be dead-ish!

False morels frequently (though not always!) have reddish brown shades. I have seen yellow morels develop red stains, especially in age (the stain usually begins as a stripe on the stem and then grows), and when morels are growing under pine. So, this rule might eliminate some good-eating morels. But it is more likely to eliminate false morels. Don't rely on this rule (or any of the rules, for that matter) alone!

[/size][/font] [font=Arial, Verdana, Sans Serif][size=-2]

[​IMG]
    False Morel

© 2000-2005, MushroomExpert.Com
    [/size][/font]
    [font=Arial, Verdana, Sans Serif][size=-1]

[/size][/font]

2. The scientific name for this FALSE Morel is eatimus makus deadimus!!!

I've found some of these beauties (well, they are kinda cool lookin'...BUT, don't eat them) here in N. Indiana. I've often had people call them "beef steaks". Anyone else familiar with this term for the false morel?

3. Holy crap! I think I might have eaten one of those before. Looks like what people told me was a beefsteak, Dean. I'm glad I'm not dead-ish!

4. Me too, Coach. When's the fish fry? I've never heard of anyone dying from eating panfish....although, if I don't eat some soon...it COULD kill me!

I need a little :help: from a friend....so to speak!!!!

5. How 'bout Saturday???

6. Does "FISH ON!!" mean anything to you my friend?

7. I have eaten beefsteak mushrooms before. :dizzy: Before I found out they were poisonous. They contain a form of hydrazine (rocket fuel). Some experts say they have a cumulative effect, others say it depends on an individual's metabolism and others yet think it might have to do with where and on what they have grown. (they are the first mushrooms I ever fed my mother in law years ago) :evil:

8. Did she jettison off into space, Goggle? LOL!!!!!

9. I have eaten beefsteak mushrooms before...maybe that's what's wrong with me :dizzy: ...Anyone ever eat any of the fall mushrooms found on tree stumps?

10. Personally, I don't eat mushrooms, just don't care for any type. However if you are wanting to find edible mushrooms, in the fall, just besure they are the right kinds. One bad mushroom and you might be facing a Liver Transplant.:yikes:

11. My brother in law and his dad hunt for and eat the fall mushrooms...I've never tried them. They say they are really good.

12. Fall MushrooMs!!!!!

In my number 1 deer spot is a thick, creek bottom woods that was absolutely loaded with puff balls last fall during early bow. I brought home a few of the smaller ones and cooked them like morels...they weren't too bad, really!! Not as good as Morels, of course, but similar flavor. Maybe it was just the butter....??????:cwm27:!!!

13. oyster mushrooms and hen of the woods both grow on stumps and both are great. There is another beefsteak mushroom that grows on rotting trees and they are good too.

oyster [​IMG]
    beefsteak [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hen of the woods​
    All 3 are safe and good!​
    Make sure you pick the hen of the woods off of wood not out of the ground.:corkysm55 :coco: ​

14. I wish :evil:

15. I think I may have confused the "beefsteak" with what some people call an "elephant ear". Does anyone know if this statement is correct?