close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Estimate of rut timing this year.

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by HuntinIN, Dec 12, 2006.

1. When did you guys observe the intense part of the rut this year?

The rut was still trickling a little around opener of firearms, but if you didn't bow hunt between Nov. 1-10, you missed the intense parts (what there was in daylight). Big moon up all night during this time made for mostly mid-day action where I hunted in Owen Co. My thoughts.

Eric

2. it was that first full week of November is when i noticed it really getting hot... Then i tapered off into the gun season. My thoughts and you are right on that big bright moon kind of put a damper on movement during that period but it was still the best times to be in the woods.

3. Major activity on Sunday, November 12th....decent activity the week leading up to that weekend.

4. Didn't get out the week prior to opening day of gun season, but opening day was hot in the northern Parke woods we hunt.

5. Nov. 4 thru 14 was insane around here. Bucks were running all over chasing and searching for does. Some of the best action I've ever seen in the woods this past year.

Of that time, Nov. 6th was probably the most intense action I've ever seen. Nov. 14 had to be a close second.

6. Seemed to get really hot here starting the 8th thru the 12th. Best two days for me was the 11th and 12th.

7. It seemed dead and done by gun season,nothing chasing nothing!Maybe secondary rut will be in muzzleloading season?!

8. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Bingo, best buck activity i have ever saw in a single day, seen 12 diff. bucks that day.

9. Saw first mature buck on a doe around Nov. 4th or 5th. I agree, most action for me was Nov. 4th - 12th. Saw some nice bucks roaming in the mid-day close to shotgun season, most were not with a doe. Saw some small bucks chasing does early in shotgun season, they were just attempting what they watched the big bucks already do.:chillin:

10. Daytime activity may vary by a week or two or three, but I believe the rut is the same every year. Those deer know not to drop a fawn in March just because we humans thought it got cold in mid October.

11. Yep.

The rut timing's based on photoperiodism. It's a constant from one year to the next.

Fetal conception data is the only way to confirm when peak breeding took place - there are too many variables for personal observations to be reliable. Nevertheless, personal observations and experiences are really what it's all about - putting the science aside, the only thing that matters as an individual is what did you see and/or get.

Seabee - 12 buck sightings in one day? That's phenomenal!! I'd love to experience something like that someday.

12. Hi fellas, been reading the site the past year or so but this is my first post. I took the week of 11/6 - 11/12 off for bow, hoping to hit the peek of the rut, based on previous years, and I didn't see much rut activity the first 4-5 days, but it started up good on the 10th and got better on the weekend. I got a nice 9 on Tues. afternoon the 14th , he wasn't with a doe but he came to my grunt, I'd say he was searching. I didn't hunt the gun season, but my brother-in-law and buddy both saw some bucks still chasing on the 18th where we hunt in Orange county.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  13. With the November Full Moon ("Rutting Moon") falling right before the normal breeding period this year many does syncronized their second breeding estrus at the same time. This caused a very pronounced and visible rut bonanza. While the November Full moon (second autumnal equinox) doesn't have much to do with the Rut timing per se, it can affect the syncronization of both sexes being able to breed in a more timely and efficient manner. This is why the time frame of November 8-13 was very wild and crazy this year. We also got some fairly good cool/cold weather then which helped make it more visible as well.