Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this new non-native dove in Indiana? If so, where?

I sent an e-mail to the Indiana DNR to see if it ok to hunt them with the regular dove licenses and regulations. No one seems to want to reply back!

I heard from my local audubon society that was small flocks in Boone County, Indiana. Most of the time people has seen them has individuals or pairs underneath birdfeeders.

I have heard that in other southern states they haven't reduce the mourning dove population.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
i have relatives in northern Illinois near Dixon and have seen these doves there. They are much larger than regular doves,, almost pigeon sized,, and have a square tail. Every time I go over there I see these doves and always wondered what they were,, now I know. Are they legal to harvest?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea if it is legal or not to hunt them! I assume since they are non-native species it is legal if you have a hunting license similar to mourning dove. But not sure!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Well,, might have to post that question on Woody's site. He has a resident CO there that answers law type questions very quickly and efficiently......

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been wondering about that whole issue. I know the regulations on rock pigeons but what about other species that show up in Indiana from time to time like.....

Eurasin Collared Dove
African Collared Dove sometimes called Turtle Dove
White-tipped Dove
Band Tailed Pigeon
White winged Dove
Inca Dove
Common Ground Dove

Those species have been seen more and more frequetly in Indiana since 1980!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone seen this new non-native dove in Indiana? If so, where?

I sent an e-mail to the Indiana DNR to see if it ok to hunt them with the regular dove licenses and regulations. No one seems to want to reply back!

I heard from my local audubon society that was small flocks in Boone County, Indiana. Most of the time people has seen them has individuals or pairs underneath birdfeeders.

I have heard that in other southern states they haven't reduce the mourning dove population.
I see them all the time around the Culver area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts