close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever heard a "death grunt"?

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by DLQ, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Have any of you ever heard a buck make a VERY loud death grunt?

I never had until Saturday. The buck I killed took a couple minutes to die because I only got one lung on a very close and steep shot.

Anyway, I watched him run down into a deep creek hollow and cross the creek and run about half way up the ridge on the other side. I lost sight of him for a minute then I saw him further to my left walking slowly back down to the creek. A minute later, I heard him make the loudest, longest grunt I have ever heard in the woods. It sounded just like the grunt some of those deer hunting video games have. Real loud and at least 1.5 to 2 seconds in length. It was strange. He was 100 yard away and it was still the loudest sound I have ever heard a buck make.

Anyone else experience something like this?

2. I shot a doe a couple of years ago, hit her in the spine and she dropped on the spot, but she "bawled" for a couple of minutes. This year I shot a buttonbuck that went about 40 yards and folded, he let out what I thought at the time, was a loud bleat. Could have been the same thing you heard, only it came from a lot younger buck.

3. About 7-8 years ago, a friend and I were hunting together. He was in a tree about 100 yards from me. I had a nice 8 point give me a 35 yard shot. Hit him real high,, just under the spine, about ½ way back. Kinda in-line with the liver. Cut a main artery under the spine. He made the loudest noise either of us have heard. My bud came over after the shot and said "what the heck was that noise". Took him over to the deer and said it was this. He said it sounded like a chainsaw,, And thats where the name "THE CHAINSAW BUCK" came from.. His rack hangs in my garage and we still have that saying. Weirdest noise I ever heard.

4. ?

Ive heard 'em make loud huffs and stuff like that after getting a lung shot but never heard a loud grunt.

5. All the deer i have shot, with the bow of course ;) , have made some sort of blat bleat, or if u call it a grunt. The last deer i shot, a doe, the arrow entered in front of her left shoulder and out behind the right shoulder taking out both lungs and clipping the artery in the heart, she made a loud bleat sound and ran off hard. A couple of years back i made a spine shot on a button buck, it made the sound of a fawn in distress sound, then i finished him off as quickly as i could.

6. I heard it last year, got a 2nd shot into him as fast as I could to finish him off. First shot broke the shoulder and dropped him like a rock. It's great not having to track, but the bawl is uncomfortable.

8. I was about 200 yrds from a buddy when he hit a doe in the neck with an arrow. It was across a bean field and there was no wind so I could hear really well. I was like what the hell is that noise. She bawled for what seemed like an eternity.

9. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

Yes, I heard one of those this year. It also sounded like somebody was knocking down every tree that was in their way and shaking the crud out of every bush. Never got a shot at this buck as he was in chase mode for the entire length of my hunt. A doe decoy may have helped the situation.