close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"FARMER LICENSE EXEMPTION"

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by BRICH60, Jul 14, 2006.

1. INDIANA CURRENT PROVIDES AN EXEMPTION FOR LANDOWNERS OR LESSEES OF FARMLAND WHO HUNT, FISH AND TRAP ON THEIR LAND. HOW "LOOSELY" DO YOU GUYS INTERPET "FARM THAT LAND" PROVISION OF THIS RULE.

DOES THIS MEAN PHYSICALLY GROWING AGRICULTURAL CROPS( CORN, BEANS, WHEAT); CAN IT BE INTERPETED TO INCLUDE TREES OR FOOD PLOTS? I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO OWN PROPERTY, THAT DO NOT " FARM" IT , THAT USE THIS RULE NOT TO BUY A LICENSE EVERY YEAR. IS THIS FAIR?

WHAT ABOUT THE GUY THAT GOES OUT INTO HIS 5 ACRE BACK YARD AND KILLS A DEER WITHOUT BUYING A LICENSE, USING THIS LICENSE EXCLUSION PROVISION, SAYING HE IS " FARMING" BUY GROWING GRASS, TREES AND WEEDS.

IS THE STATE BEING CHEATED OUT OF LICENSE REVENUE BY HAVING SUCH A VAGUE RULE? SHOULD THERE BE A CLEARER DEFINITION OF " FARMING", SHOULD THERE BE A MINIMUM SIZE OF PROPERTY LIMIT( IE. 50 acres). WHAT DO YOU GUY`S THINK?

2. From the info I was told by my brother in law who owns land in Parke County, who checked with the CO it does not matter how many acres you own, or if it is farm land, if you kill a deer on your land it does not require a purchase of a tag. Just write it down and write landowner on it.

3. I say it's just fine.
    What's the loss of a license fee compared to the property taxes the guy pays on his "5 acre backyard"? State get's theirs.

4. :yeahthat:

5. IS IT NOT POSSIBLE THAT AS THE STATE IS CONTINUALLY DIVIDED UP INTO SMALLER AND SMALLER PARCELS, AND EVERYONE OWNING THEIR OWN" FIVE ACRES" HUNTING ON IT, NOT BUYING A LICENSE THAT IT WILL RESULT IN DECREASED LICENSED REVENUE. THIS COULD HAVE THE EFFECT OF FORCING THE STATE TO RAISE RATES TO MAKE UP FOR THE SHORTFALL. FISH AND WILDLIFE`S BUDGET IS NOT BASED ON PROPERTY TAXES.

NOW I KNOW THAT A GREAT DEAL OF US HAVE LIFETIME LICENSE, AND WOULD NOT BE GREATLY AFFECTED, BUT THE FUTURE GENERATIONS WILL BE AFFECTED

6. My friends and I have leased 270 acres the last two years. Are you saying I don't need any tags to hunt on it? Am I an idiot for not knowing that? I've spent a lot on turkeys, bow, firearm, muzzleloader, etc.. If that's the case do I still check in like normal? Just write landowner and it's no big deal? We always hunted Hoosier National before I guess I'm used to buying the darn things.

7. Leasing is not owning.

8. Are you getting liberal on me? I think if a farmer has a pond that he should have to have a trapping license to trap muskrat out of it. Smaller parcels or not. Come on Brich. You pay my taxes. Got 60 acres here. I am squeezed enough the way it is!!!!!!!!

9. Rico what the county don't know won't hurt them. I thought if it was farm land and the wildlife was destroying your crop your were able to hunt what every it was that was doing it. I will check with Milk DNR and see if he know what the rules are.

10. If I'm reading the regs. right, if you lease the land for farming purposes, you are not required to purchase deer tags (at least bonus antlerless anyway).

11. Here is what the present rules are in simple terms

1. You own 1/4 acre if you can shoot a deer on it during a season it is legal as landowner

2. You own a gazillion acres around the State you can hunt all of them as a landowner

3. If you lease land and plant an AGRICULTURAL crop to be harvested you hunt that leased property as a landowner

Leasing land to hunt and planting a food plot does not qualify, Leasing and claiming to manage the woods for "future" timber does not qualify.

The BS rule that IDNR would like is ......... if you don't "reside" on the land you own and hunt you need a license. I own, I am on the mortage.......... I will be treated as an equal with my neighbor. We both pay same taxes.....

12. Rowdy

Rowdy

Yeah, I know a few guys that lease land and claim to be "tree farmers".

13. THIS IS THE KINDA THING THAT I WAS REFERING TO. WITH THE RULE READING AS VAGUE AS IT DOES, YOU HAVE ALL KINDS OF INTERPETATIONS OF IT. I JUST FEEL THAT DNR NEEDS TO CLARIFY THE MATTER.

HEY RICO, I AM NOT GOING LIBERAL, I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. I DO NOT WANT YOUR SON`S LICENSE TO GO UP, BECAUSE SOMEONE THAT LEASES LAND DOES NOT BUY A TAG. IF LICENSE SALES DECLINE, PRICES WILL RISE.