Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the favorite deer gun out there?White tail, in indiana. Or just in general? Since I’m starting, I’ll go first. Used to be my lever action in 44mag, open sites. But last year I switched to a 350 legend. Started reloading and built up a very respectable 165 grain round. Dropped my buck in his tracks. I don’t figure having to shoot past 100 yards or so. Very happy with it so far. But curious to see what others are using.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I no longer hunt Whitetails now, but when I did, I like my .308 loaded with 150 grain bullets. I used my reloaded ammunition, which consisted of: 47.0 grains / WW-748 / 150 grain SPT. Harvested many-many Deer over the years with my load.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That sounds like a very potent round. Bet it did the trick!
The .308 is A very potent round, for Deer sized game. I've used it extensively here in Kentucky for years. When I lived in Indiana, I mainly used either a .50 Cal M/L or Sabot shotgun load, and then when it was legal I used a Ruger 77/.44 Mag. for Deer. Over the years, I've used several calibers for Deer Hunting from: 7.62 X 39 m/m to my custom ,458 X 2" American. Made my longest kill (378 yards) with a 7 X 57 m/m to take a Kentucky Deer back in 1996.

·
Registered
456 Posts
well since i been hunting well before the rifle laws, my favorite is still the 12g loaded with breneke ko. nothing better to anchor a deer than a slug threw the shoulders. when the rifle law came in i only had one rifle with a bore big enough. that was my old sks from the 80s blasting days. she has been abused but well cared for over the years. that means we ran several creates of ammo threw that old girl. lol at 80 bucks for 1440rnds it was cheap. amazing what those steel cores will go threw! we shot holes in anything we could get ahold of to try lol anyhow i set out to find some hunting ammo local. that turned out to be a task. all i was finding was junk russian hollow points. i already knew from our wet paper, wood and meat tests in the 80s they dont open up. only one gun shop in town had ammo i would use on a deer. that turned out to be 2 boxes of 50, Hornaday sst. all i can say is wow what a bullet. they dont go far if anywhere after that! i was very impressed with the "killing power" of that lil rnd. used it for 2 years to drop 5 deer and a few yotes. that round will make a mess of the far side of a yote. lol then i bought a 308 axis. im a savage man. it killed deer just as well as the sks. i was forced to use 150gr spt because thats all i could find local. i would love to get some 125gr sst for that gun. i feel the 150 to be a lil too heavy for whitetails. but as long as they open up i guess they will do. the only thing i dont like about the axis is the light weight. it kicks more than a 308 should on the bench. i intend to fill the stock with some weight if i dont sell it and buy an AR10. thats what i should have bought in the first place really. at least with guns the price never depreciates. in short the slug wins with me for the knock down power. second choice would be the sks and the sst ammo. that is just the guns i have used though. as for the "ultimate" deer gun i dont have yet, it would be an ar10 in 308.

574, I've read good things about the 350L and that would be my chamber choice if the next gun was just for hunting. if i spring for an AR10 it will need be chambered in 308 for shtf scenario.

·
Registered
456 Posts
my slug gun is an 870 also. it has rifled barrel rifle sights and was made by Mossberg. they made barrels for Remington 870s back then. i was young with new kid and strapped for cash. they were cheaper in other words. the Hastings cantilever was like $225 if i remember rite and the one i got was like $100. anyhow after getting used to it i took it to the range. i could hold 3-4" group at 100yrd with that thing. my eyes could never do that now. i love those Brenneke slugs for the smooth bores too.

i also had a Mossberg bolt action "sluggster" in the 80s. best i could get out of that thing was 6" groups at 100. it was so light it was almost unbearable to bench shoot. lol i had it at the range one day and a guy was there with a 375mag. he asked if i ever shot a rifle that big, i said no, he let me shoot it a few times. then i let him shoot my "sluggster". one shot was all he wanted of that. lmao

·
Registered
157 Posts
oh ok. i thought maybe they were full size.(could you imagine that!😁) i a fan of full size slugs when i use the 12g. i mite have to look into them for the muzzleloader though! i didnt realize they made them in muzzleloader bullets. thx
I use Hornady .451" 250 grain XTP bullets in my M/L for years. Used 90.0 grains (Volume) of Triple 7 FFG loose powder. This sabot load has taken several Deer over the years. I've only shot a few Deer with the shotgun sabot factory loads. I mainly use my .308 here in Kentucky.

th

1 - 14 of 14 Posts