Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Favorite moment...

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  cjones46 
#1 ·
Alright fellas, deer season has come to close.

We have talked about what we have learned, and what our plans our now, but what is the A-1, #1 moment that you are taking away from the year's deer season?

I had a good friend start hunting this year, so when he took his first, and just by talking to him, I knew that he was hooked, that was it for me. Nothing like having a hunting and fishing partner for all seasons.

What do you guys have?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

#2 ·
I know every starter always says their best moment was when they took their first buck, but the morning I took my first buck truly was the best moment. I saw about 20 deer that morning that were all within 30 yards of me at one point. I saw a buck chasing about 4 does around, and I saw two button bucks play around with eachother trying to fight with the little bumps on their heads. I also took an 8 pointer with my bow after he ran the two little button bucks off. It was by far the best moment I have ever had hunting.

#7 ·
My absolute best moment of the year was the very first morning in the youth season. Sitting in a ground blind with my 7 year old daughter on her first deer hunt. When she dropped the hammer on that doe, even though she cleanly missed, it had to have been the coolest moment of my entire hunting career.:cool:

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
SECOND EVENING OF THE YOUTH HUNT I TOOK MY NEPHEW OUT & HE SHOT A DOE AT 20 YDS. WITH HIS MUZZLELOADER AFTER THE SHOT I ASKED HIM IF HE WAS READY TO GET DOWN TO START TRACKING IT AND HE SAID HE STILL WAS SHAKING TO HARD TO GET DOWN, I TOLD HIM THATS THE REASON WE HUNT IS TO GET THAT FEELING , THAT NIGHT WAS PRICELESS!!!!!!:bouncy: THIS WAS HIS FIRST DEER EVER

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
my #1 best moment of the season came right after my worst moment of the season. me, a friend, my wife, and dog were blood trailing my big 8 pointer on nov. 6 at 9 pm. my shot placement was a little back and i was sick after the shot. i waited 3 hours and we all headed back out to find him, but it had started raining. after trailing for 1 hour the deer had ran into an open grass field and the rain washed away every trace of blood. i crawled on my hands and knees for 30 minutes searching for blood with no trace. i made 3 big circles around the last blood sign and still didn't find anything. my friend had already given up and i was about to when my wife told me to shine the field with a spotlight i threw in my backpack. instantly there was a white glow 150 yards across the field. i figured it had to be a fencepost, but i investigated anyway. as my friend and i approached the glow we soon realized it wasn't a fence post, but the reflective wrap around the end of my arrow, and underneath it was the biggest buck i'd ever taken. i ran to the deer and then signaled to my wife to come quick(she stayed with the dog at the last blood trace). the arrow had stuck in the deer and never broke off in his 600 yard run. the deer just happened to fall dead on his side so the arrow stuck straight up in the air. it was an incredible moment finding that monster buck that way, with my best friend, wife, and dog there. that's my #1 moment of this season.

#10 ·
The best moment of the hunting season for me was late into the firearms season and I was hunting with my daughter from an elevated blind. With about 30 minutes of light left in the day we spotted a deer working it's way out of the woods into a logging road. As soon as she saw it her breathing picked up and she started shaking...she said her heart was beating so fast she couldn't hardly breathe. She shouldered her gun but the deer never got within shooting distance before disappearing. It was a cool experience for both of us. She now knows what it feels like to deer hunt.

#11 ·
For the rook, I had a tie. After watching deer from a distance for a month, I was questioning my skills. One morning I had 2 small basket racks hang around my stand and then finally travel by and never new I was there.....what a rush for the newbie. Along with the previous experience I would have to say my first missed shot. I had drawn several times through out the season but a shot never presented itself. Finally had a doe coming towards me and stop, I over thought the shot and it went over the top of her but again, what a rush for the newbie. While holding that shot, the arrow seemed to be in slow motion.

#12 ·
Favorite moment of deer season- Getting to see Brew's monster buck in person.:yikes:

Favorite hunting moment- The entire afternoon of chasing I witnessed on Nov. 3rd between 3pm and dark. Made my season.:bouncy:

#14 ·
My favorite moments of the season have to be the first weekend at deer camp smelling the campfire smoke and getting acquainted with old friends again. Spending mornings in the woods watching the sun come up and the world come alive. Seeing the progression of the fall and the radiant colors of the hills as the leaves start to turn colors and fall off the tree. Seeing several nice bucks and passing enough little ones that the next ten years should be great. I met EdJ and got him hooked on traditional archery. Oh yeah and the best memory of all from this hunting season was getting engaged to my beautiful fiance. Ive got a lot of hunting seasons left in my life and if they are half as good as this one they will all be happy ones. Now lets start planning some winter cabin fever get togethers.

#15 ·
#1) Watch my 3 year old son go crazy over any deer brought to him to look at. He is a Deer NUT now, let me tell you.

#2) Watching the buck I eventually harvested later in the season do a snort wheeze at 20 yards from me to scare away 3 subordinate bucks trying to get in on his girlfriend. All 3 stopped and 1 of the little guys just turned around and walkied away, never looking back.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well my best this year was being with my grandson and watching everything unfold as he shot a deer of a lifetime and seeing his face and the hugs as he looked at the deer that will put him into two record books. Plus to find out that they called him and told him he won the contest at Mike's Sport Shop and will receive a free mount from Sutton's. WOW

#18 ·
Well my best this year was being with my grandson and watching everything unfold as he shot a deer of a lifetime and seeing his face and the hugs as he looked at the deer that will put him into two record books. Plus to find out that they called him and told him he won the contest at Mike's Sport Shop and will receive a free mount from Sutton's. WOW
Glad to hear he got the free mount. About time someone other than a Kissinger got one!! HAHA

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

#19 ·
That's great ! Tell Cody way to go!

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm happy for your grandson, Tuck. Happy for you too. My favorite moment this year was my dad and I finding my buck after 2 hour of looking in the dark. His big light went dead after about five minutes since my neice had been playing with it all day. Then all we had were two mini maglites...... what a joke. Anyhow it was a challenge to say the least, both of us were to stubborn to go get another good light. Like father like son. For the last tewnty-five years there's been a story along those lines, thats what makes it great. The funny part is that the buck only ran 130 yards, Blew the top of his heart up. The blood blew so far after twenty yards I couldn't tell which way he went. There were also 7 does that ran when I shot, after a second I couldn't tell which deer was which. In the end we figured it out.We laughed pretty hard about it. Good stuff.

#21 ·
wow I honestly couldn't tell ya what my favorite moment was...
it seems like every time i went out i saw something that made it all worthwhile ...even if what i saw wasn't a deer.
as a rookie though I think I'm obligated to say that my favorite memory this year was taking my first deer.
She walked right in front of my stand at about 20 yards...she stopped to eat perfectly broadside...it was almost like somebody was directing her. I drew, released and it was almost slow motion from then on. I saw the contact and knew it was a good clean shot. She hopped, ran and finally fell about 35 yards away in the prairie grass. I wanted to call every single person in my phone but my hands were shaking too bad to dial any numbers. I'll never forget how excited Marsh, my wife and my father in law in were when they got the call. I've been consumed by hunting ever since. It seems like not even an hour has past since that I haven't thought about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.