Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I agree, JT. That is the section to which I referred above, where I also stated that under the state law, muzzleloaders are firearms. The OP was talking about D felony convictions. The state laws do not prevent D felony convicted people from possessing firearms, only the serious violent felons.
So, what we have is state law that does not address D felony people, but does include muzzleloaders, and a federal law that does address D felony people but does not include muzzleloaders. Clear??

HB

Oh yeah, and regarding the OP's question about reinstatement/restoration of gun rights for a D felon-it depends on how good your lawyer is, what the facts are, and who your judge is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's my understanding that it only includes "serious violent felon" and some drug charges

That is unless there is a code that the CO's use that I'm not aware of.

Search code 35-47-4-5 and you see a list

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch4.html

As always if you have any questions, check with your local elected prosecutor and he will gladly give you the answers you look for.

One thing to add. A probation officer or Protective Order may prohibit you from possessing a firearm.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
TW-
Most of those drug charges are on the list in the statute. As I stated above, your probation rules may well prohibit any "dangerous weapon" which could include archery tackle, too.

If you are subject to a protective order, which could even be a product of a divorce action, btw, you could be excluded from possessing firearms if the judge made a specific Brady finding and checked a box on the form.

HB

·
Registered
218 Posts
TW-
Most of those drug charges are on the list in the statute. As I stated above, your probation rules may well prohibit any "dangerous weapon" which could include archery tackle, too.

If you are subject to a protective order, which could even be a product of a divorce action, btw, you could be excluded from possessing firearms if the judge made a specific Brady finding and checked a box on the form.

HB
Looked right past your post somehow. Looks like you had it covered. :coolgleam

·
Registered
163 Posts
On the issue of having your right to bear arms reinstated after a felony conviction, per a law passes by congress, every felon has the right to apply to have their rights of firearms ownership reinstated. However there is a catch, the congressional commity, that you are required to apply to, is the only commity that has the power to reinstate those specific rights. There is also another law passed by congress that forebids any funding of that specific commity, and therefore the commity is never and will never be formed. So can you apply and is there a process? Yes. Will a felon ever receive the right to own or operate a fire again... no. My suggestion is to stay out of trouble. Hope I helped

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have had a CO stop and check my lic. once. I was with a convicted felon (felony DUI) at the time. As long as you are legal and he has no reason to call your info in you are OK. If he calls in, you go to jail. It is a choice you have to make.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think any person that has a felony can possess a Firearm that would include shotgun and ML . Not even to hunt. best bet is to call the C.O. and ask about the rest of your Questions.
ml is not considered a firearm, The feds do not consider it to be a firearm, The state may though, just call the court house and ask the states attorney. They would know if the state allows it or not. But no its not a firearm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i seen that in the book. i never heard anything about it being talked about before hand. just boom there it is. mite ass well make spears legal too. lol maybe slingshots, im pretty good with one of those! what survey did they do to get feedback first?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i seen that in the book. i never heard anything about it being talked about before hand. just boom there it is. mite ass well make spears legal too. lol maybe slingshots, im pretty good with one of those! what survey did they do to get feedback first?
you act as though an air rifle is a kids gun, bb gun. etc. Sorry you are well misinformed. Look on youtube at the big game that is killed all the time with pcp air rifles. 50 cal air rifles that take down water buffalo. Think abotu a 350 to 500 grn bullet hitting you at 985 ft per second. Truly not a kids toy right. But it is an air rifle

21 - 38 of 38 Posts