close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feral Hogs- Anybody Seeing `em

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by BRICH60, Jul 28, 2006.

1. IDNR IS NOW ASKING THAT ANYBODY WHO SEES OR TAKES A FERAL HOG WHILE HUNTING TO NOTIFY THE INDIANA STATE BOARD OF ANIMAL HEALTH. MY QUESTION IS-HAS ANYBODY SEEN ANY WHILE BEING IN THE WOODS DEER HUNTING. I HAVE NOT, ALTHOUGH I HAVE SEEN TRACKS AND HEARD SOUNDS THAT I BELIEVE WERE MADE BY HOGS.

I KNOW THEY CAN TEAR THE WOODS UP AND EAT ALOT OF THE SAME FOOD AS WHITETAILS, BUT THEY CAN BE FUN TO HUNT ( HUNTED THEM IN TENNESSEE). ALSO THEY PROVIDE GOOD, CHEAP BACON AND CHOPS FOR THE TABLE.

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE SEEING THEM IN ANY REGULARITY? DO YO PLAN ON NOTIFYING THE BOARD OF ANIMAL HEALTH? DO YO LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING THEM TO HUNT?

2. I haven't seen any true feral hogs before in IN. However, one time I had 2 hogs that escaped from the local hog farm down the road, come trotting pass my goose spread at around 75 yrds. If Indiana does have a feral hog population, I like the idea of hunting them. Pork is good and I'll do my part to make sure that the population doesn't explode.

3. haven't heard of any this yr. being seen or shot but last yr. and yr. before there were quite a few shot. one over 500 lbs. in green county and one over 350 lbs. in martin co.

4. Yeah, just seen one men....hold on.....never mind, that is just my new neighbor up the road! Would you look at the meat on that woman!!!!!!:evilsmile

5. Years ago, my dad woke me up at 5:30 the morning to shoot what he thought was a wild hog rooting around in our front yard . . . oh wait, that was the neighbor's pot bellied pig. Thank goodness the sleepiness wore off before I pulled the trigger.

6. nope

I hunt just North of the Green County, Owen County line and have never seen one or a track. I think they are mostly down South by the Ohio river.

7. Southern Indiana

I have seen one and it was dead along I65 south at the 22 mile marker(the rest park) it was two years ago and was a black Russian sow. I estimated it at about 125 pounds. I have friends who have seen them at brownstown outside of Seymour. I know Bedford has them and from there make a triangle south to Evansville. That is where the hogs are. You will also find it difficult to gain permission to hunt them. Many folks think the are a novelty. I just wish hey could see the damage they do in Texas. Wild/feral hogs can have two or more litters a year with and average of 8-12 pigs. think of how fast they can multiply at that rate.

If anyone wants to go on a hog hunt contact me. For the past five years me and a group of people from around the country have met in February to hog hunt in Texas. The hunt in 2007 is Feb 1-4, all weapons are legal but is not a good archery hunt. the cost of the hunt including lodging, food, license, transportation on the ranch, gutting skinning and quartering your hogs is 690.00 total for three days.

The hunt allows you UNLIMITED hogs and unlimited time durring that three days, you could hunt 24/7 if you wanted. Teh guide service we use is http://www.varmintexpress.com/ We limit the group to 15 people. We hunt ranches with over 5000 acres. And notice I said "ranches". Ranches are chosen two weeks before hunt to assure most hogs possible. Record for 1 day is 8 hogs by one individual!

We have two trucks traveling from Indiana atr this time and both are looking for additional riders to share gas, 22 hour road trip each way. Or you could opt to fly as I do for around 350.00. If you fly the drivers will haul hogs back to Indy for some gas help.

I have pictures from previous hunts if anyone is interested.

As a note, in 2003 Texas estimated 5 Million hogs..... 2006 estimate was 8 Million!

8. Whose in favor of a "One Boar Rule"? I'd sure like to see more mature boar's on my ground, better chance one would take Wiemer up a tree.

9. have seen hogs in madison county i'm sure they have gotten out of a farmers stock but they appear to be wild not very friendly

10. jb would like more info on that hunt

11. more info........

email me at jbwhttail@aol.com and I'll give you my cell number. I'll also send you pictures.

here is one...........

[​IMG]

12. Yeah, maybe a boar would drive me up a tree, but you, my friend, drive me up the wall.

13. Yeah seen two in my backyard today right next to the ladder for the pool. Wifesmother and sister came over. Sooo fat they'll knock the needle of the scale! Both of em had these marks all over their body where the ten foot pole was hitting them, pretty purple color.

14. I almost choked on my pickled bologna on that one! Thanks. :cwm27:

15. No hogs here in Whitley, but about 15 years ago Tom had 24 hogs get out of his farm and went around asking everyone to help catch them. Well three family caught some and call him and he never went over to get them. I called him and my wife and 6 other friends went over to help him and all of at once a voice said, what the **** are you doing on my ground, stop or I am going to shoot you, the one he was going to shoot was my wife, I yell at him and he said Bill what are you doing here. I told him that the Tom said you said that it would be ok to get on your ground to catch the hogs. The guy said Bill I call him about three weeks ago to come and get 5 that I had in a pen and he never came over to get them so instead of feeding them I turn them loose. So I talk to Tom and then he said if you want a hog shoot it and it was a war in my area.