close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Field Dressing

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by QuailDancer, Jul 13, 2006.

1. I’m sure this is a “birdbrain” question…but here it goes.

I’ve read from others to avoid overheating walking into a stand to finish dressing their outer layers in the field. I have a good hike to my stands in the morning, and I’ve often arrived to the stand over heated and sweating. How do you guys finish layering while in the woods? Surely you’re not trying to squeeze into your bibs 20 feet up in a treestand, are you? Putting an outer layer on over hunting boots on the ground I think could be rather noisy as well…just wondering what the die-hards do.

2. i don't carry my stuff in but i do get to my spot and park at least 1 hour before the sun even thinks of coming up and i walk slow i have a 3/8 to 1/2 mile walk also i leave my coat unzipped.

3. Quail.....One of the things I have done more often than not, is to not overdress in the first place. Although it may be cold when you leave the house keep in mind that you will be getting warm on your way in. I never wore a pair of bibs at all last year during any season. I wear a pair of blue jeans with a pair of Columbia camo hunting pants over them. I'll wear a T-Shirt and maybe a long sleeve shirt over that depending on temperature. In my backpack I will carry a camo fleece jacket and put it on either prior to climbing or after I'm in the tree. I also carry in my backpack a hooded camo sweatshirt jacket in case it gets too cold. Occassionaly I will wear a black turtleneck shirt to keep the cold wind off my neck. Many times, especially in the early mornings I will walk in with only a T-Shirt on or turtleneck shirt on so I won't get overheated. If you get overheated and sweaty going in, all the clothes in the world that you put on over wet sweaty clothes isn't going to keep you warm.

4. dont put the bibs over your shoulders until you get to your tree. Walk in while wearing your long sleeves but no jacket carry that with you. Take your time. I usually carry my hunting stuff in a pack or something and walk in with my rubber boots and thermals then get dressed there about 200 yards from where im hunting. Then that slow walk in warms me up and gets me ready for the day in the woods. It all depends on your body, and your preferences.

5. Cool advice

Thanks for the above 3 posts, all good advice.

6. I wear as little as possible when walking in...in any weather. I carry the rest tied to my stand frame...backpack...or under my arm. I do it not only to keep scent down and from getting wet/cold...I just don't like to sit wringing with sweat. I put on as much as I can at my stand and then take my time getting in the stand and organized. I do the same on the way out.
    The best temp regulation is not wearing your hat or gloves or turtleneck when it's cold. Put all of that on in the stand and carry a mock turtleneck to wear in the stand to keep the wind off your neck and body heat in...they say you lose the most bodyheat from the top of your head and coat/shirt collar...use that to your advantage to keep cool.

7. Not a "birdbrain" question....but, you're still a Birdbrain, Birdbrains!!! :biggrin:

Just kiddin' Quail...

One thing I've done over the years is tie my jacket around my waste while walking to stand (whether it's an early season jacket, or a coat type). Use the sleeves as ties. Also, my brother,Dan, does this sometimes: He'll put ziploc bags over his bare feet until he reaches his stand; then when he gets there and settles in, he'll grab a fresh pair of woolies, etc. out of his pocket and put the socks over his bare feet. Zip up the bags and put them in your pocket. Dry feet is one of the absolute best ways to keep warm. Good luck!!!!

8. Quail get a backpack and put your bibs or your outer clothes in the pack and put them on when you get to your stand. Put on outer wear and then get in stand, I also put my boots that I am going to have on in the stand and after your dressed put the other back in your pack which has a scent killer in the pack. that's how I do it.

9. change of clothes

One thing about changing clothes in the field, you can hang up whatever got sweaty in a tree somewhere in a strategic position to make a buck move by the spot you are going to hunt from. Old trick for smart old bucks, has worked for me one time. Diversionary tactics! Under Armor is the stuff to wear in, for sure!

Eric

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  10. try using nonscented aerosol deodorant to spray on your feet in the morning bfore you leave home keeps them from sweating and keeps your toes warm

i wouldn't worry about gettting dressed at your stand just be organized and you will not be so loud , there is nothing wrong in setting in that stand for an hour waiting for light
    also bass pro has new under garments that keep you cool have tried them and it feels like you have ac on inside your clothes this and under armor are good ways to help wic sweat away
    good luck

11. if your packing your climber in with you a good bungy strap will hold everything you need on your stand. carry a small bottle of scent killer with you and spray down even the ground where you put your clothes on. i would never try to add clothes in my stand in the dark. do it before you get to your stand or go up. i hr. before daylight be ready to climb up. that way you can take your time and get settled in and not have to hurry. and let everything settle down and any scent you left at the base of your tree will weaken with time.

12. I USALLY CARRY MY "OUTER LAYER", ( COVERALLS OR COAT) STRAPPED TO MY TREESTAND. WHEN AT MY TREE, AND STAND ATTACHED, I PUT ON. SOMETIMES, IF I REALLY NEED TO COOL DOWN, I WILL PULL UP MY COAT, HANG IT ON MY TREE, AN DPUT IT ON WHEN I START TO GET CHILLED. I NEVER PUT COVERALLS ON IN STAND THOUGH, TOO DANGEROUS.

13. Agree that trying to do too much dressing in the field (especially on a morning hunt) is a hassle. I would wear the bibs while walking. Reducing the layers on your upper body should keep you pretty cool during the walk in.