Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent four hours in the deer woods in my ladder stand this morning....saw Turkey, a whistle pig, squirrels, woodpeckers and other birds, and one red fox right below my stand....then the rain started, saw no deer....taking my son out to my ground blind this afternoon...maybe my luck will change.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sunday Oct 10/3/2021 Small 2 pointer 7:55 am ET - 3 nice bucks bedded down, stood up at 8:20 am ET hung out about 10 minutes before heading out to the cut down corn field - 9:15 am CT mother doe and fawn came in feeding on acorns. 6 does step out into cut down corn field at 6:30pm ET.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sunday Oct 10/3/2021 Small 2 pointer 7:55 am ET - 3 nice bucks bedded down, stood up at 8:20 am ET hung out about 10 minutes before heading out to the cut down corn field - 9:15 am CT mother doe and fawn came in feeding on acorns. 6 does step out into cut down corn field at 6:30pm ET.
I still need to shake off the rust, thought this past weekend i would be motivated, but i need to make room in the freezer. The one down side to early bow is shooting a deer and needing to take care of processing in what is basically late summer temps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I still need to shake off the rust, thought this past weekend i would be motivated, but i need to make room in the freezer. The one down side to early bow is shooting a deer and needing to take care of processing in what is basically late summer temps.
I hear you!!! I only went out to shake all the bugs off. I didn't plan on shooting anything, to warm out, and it's showing 83 for Sunday so I'll probably sit this one out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
decided to go out and spend the afternoon by a rub line. i set up a ground blind in a log pile 2 weeks before season near it. good set up for ambush at 30yrds. i got to the blind around 2 and the wind wasnt rite. i made the set for a west prevailing wind. we had east wind today. i set there in the chair for about a half hour. i couldnt help thinking i was gona get busted by the wind. it was nagging at me bad. so i decide to move. i moved to the west side of the rub line at the edge of the woods. wind taking my stank out into the corn. it was a nice lil hide by huge old oak that had fallen. i felt a lot better about this setup for sure. i anticipated the deer coming from the south but not so today. about 6:20 i spotted an 8ptr coming threw the woods from the east. he went down to cross the creek and i got ready for him to to the bank. he never came up and never came up. i was thinking he walked down the creek. nope he must just been drinking his fill. ho topped the creek bank coming to me at 60yrds. slowly but surely he kept coming. at about 20yrds and still facing me he stopped. looked at me with that look we all know. he sensed something was new by the tree. lol so i let him have an arrow in the chest a tad low for hart shot. shot was dead on the money and he kicked and ran south. then he ran east then west then east again. then he ran back at me and hit a tree with his rack and thats where he stopped. he ran about 150yrds but never got 75yrds from me. lol i couldnt see him but knew he was down about 50yrds from me. at least i didnt hear him run off. i called my cuz and hunting buddy then gave the deer 20 min. to clock out. not knowing if he was dead i made sure to sneak up to the area he went down. i used binocs to locate him instead of maybe spooking him. he layed with rack stuck in a couple saplings where i last seen him. the arrow went in slightly low on the chest and out before the hind quarter. when i found it, it had very little blood on it but plenty of gut nasties. good thing he didnt go out of sight because he didnt bleed much on the ground. it was mostly in the front body cavity. he is in the barn quartered on ice in a cooler. first brown down for this season. the cutting will start in 3- 5 days.

id say it was a bullseye! muzzys still deadly after all these years.

Jaw Window Fish Fin Snout

and the only pic i got of the entire deer. too warm to play around with that stuff.
Darkness Soil Human leg Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
381 Posts
it helped that the deer never left my sight after shot. other than that i would have waited an hour. cuz was at the woods with the truck in 45min. of my call. he is a god send with my limited mobility!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I at least set up the target and got some shots in. Looks like the weather is going to finally cool down this weekend. Should have saturday in the woods, going to the Covered Bridge festival sunday with the wife.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i been to that fair a couple times over the years.

i havent been back out to hunt. i like to get the cooler empty before i shoot another. tomorrow ill finish freezing up after a fishing trip at dawn. then its on again for a fat doe. me and the boy spent today smoking a deer roast and some sausages from his deer.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had 20 deer, 3 being bucks within the first hour & half of shooting hour in the morning, all within shooting range. 13 does from 5:00 ET to the last 30 minutes of shooting hours, all within shooting range. Walk out to the cut down corn and the field was full of deer, to many to count. Sunday 10/17/2021

Taking a different route walking back to eat lunch for the afternoon, i counted 16 fresh scrapes and over 100 rubs easily and seen a few rub lines cutting through the woods.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had 20 deer, 3 being bucks within the first hour & half of shooting hour in the morning, all within shooting range. 13 does from 5:00 ET to the last 30 minutes of shooting hours, all within shooting range. Walk out to the cut down corn and the field was full of deer, to many to count. Sunday 10/17/2021

Taking a different route walking back to eat lunch for the afternoon, i counted 16 fresh scrapes and over 100 rubs easily and seen a few rub lines cutting through the woods.
Well reading all that actually got my heart rate up some.
Ended up with granpa duty last saturday, still haven't been out to the woods. I tried to tell mom and grandma, I have a two seater stand, and the grandaughter and I would fit easily, at 14 months old they don't take up much space.
They weren't amused.

·
Registered
381 Posts

so what did you shoot hunterdan? sounds like your in a nature preserve and should be tagged out by now. lol i have only seen 5 deer on my cams. after gun season this year i wont see many if any on the cams. yet we have a 2 doe quota? ignorants in managment and damaged by poachers/farmers here.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like taking videos, this way my hunting season last longer. I don't shoot does or small bucks, they all get a free pass and the plus side I learn more and more about whitetail behavior just by watching them.
Take for instant, hunters wonder why deer eat these acorns but don't eat other acorns. That's because deer love eating the acorns that already sprouted, that is just a example.
I know this pisses deer hunters off but I don't play the wind, don't need to, deer are attracted to me. I'm like a magnet I pull deer in from all direction's. I learn how to beat a deer nose, even the biggest buck out there just learning from their behavior.
I can tell deer hunters a whole lot about deer "behavior", but they won't listen, and by the end of season their crying because they got skunk. The more deer hunters learn about deer behavior, the better hunter they'll become.

so what did you shoot hunterdan? sounds like your in a nature preserve and should be tagged out by now. lol i have only seen 5 deer on my cams. after gun season this year i wont see many if any on the cams. yet we have a 2 doe quota? ignorants in managment and damaged by poachers/farmers here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ok i see. your more of a watcher than a killer. i say its all good if thats what you enjoy. i was crappy fishing the other day and was asked why i wasnt deer hunting. i said this was just calling me. you should post up some deer behavior vids then. ever catch anything goofy on vid? i watched a yote chase mom n 2 fawns last year. bow season so i couldnt do anything. i have got to watch bucks thrash trees. your correct, time in the woods is invaluable.

personally i have always been taught to hunt for meat. i never got into the horn mania. i have shot big rack deer but rarely hunt for them. around my area they get slaughtered by neighbors and the last few years night poachers also. there used to be deer tracks everywhere now they are few. opening morning went from "4th of july" to only hearing a couple shots.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You are right. I use to be a killer back in the days filling all my tags before bonus county started, but now I'm more of a watcher then a killer. it's been that way for years. I always love challenging myself!!! I'm a meat eater, but all I need is one deer and I'll turn that whole deer into jerky and deer sticks - that will last me until next deer season.

When they updated this site, I could never figure out how to post pics or videos. One thing I'm not, is computer smart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hunt public land & there are so many hunters in these woods & have learned to hunt the hunting pressure. That means I have learned what direction the deer run when the hunting starts. Last season it rained on opening gun season morning & I didn't get one then so the next day I was going to hunt the front of another part of the woods. But when I got there it was packed with hunters so I thought if they hit anything where will the deer run to. Knowing there is a wide creek going through the woods that the deer don't jump, I figured they would run along the creek & come out on the other side of the woods next to the creek.
I set up next to the creek & about an hour after first light I heard a shot. I waited for about 30 min & when who every shot that deer came through the woods to recover their take they pushed the other deer out to me. I saw about 6 does running through the edge of the woods & I had set up some scent sprayed areas then one fat doe stopped running long enough to smell the air. It turned & come running my way, I gave out a bleat to get it to stop but she was smarter than that, she put her head down to run past a large bush then turned.
Just as she turned I aimed at the front part of the shoulder knowing at the speed she was moving I would hit right behind the shoulder & just squeezed the trigger. She jumped, kicked & made another turn to hide behind the tree. She bounced off the tree & ran right into another tree then dropped. After being shot she only got about 30yds before dropping.
So if you see a large bunch of hunters just get on the other side of the woods or off to the side of them & let them push the deer to you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts