Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
last time out it was 15mph winds. i got to see a really nice heavy beam 8 get up not 30 yrds from my stand. he must have been laying there when i got into it. lol not on my next of kills so i watched him wonder off none the wiser. 3 doe came in at dark but not close enough to make a guaranteed shot. too bad too one was limping. i have always killed limpers when they come by.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Last Sunday walking back out for the evening hunt, as I was walking up the grass firebreak, there laid a bedded buck with a massive rack, on the side of the break in reed grass. He jump up and ran, and then turn back, and came right back to me, only to see what I was before running off again. As I turn my head back to were he was laying, a second buck with a massive rack jumps up, running the same route as the first buck, turning around and came back and stopped long enough to stare me down before running off. That was one of the coolest thing, that ever happen to me in my 40+ years of hunting.
A buddy of mine who hunts the farm across the gravel road,(the directions the bucks ran in) text me later saying he got pictures of two big bucks with huge racks.
When it comes to deer hunting - I always tell myself - "expect the unexpected"

·
Registered
105 Posts
So, finally got in the woods for the first time yesterday afternoon. Great day, but things didn't start so well. As I turn into the field, something catches my eye, pretty sure it's a dog. Grab my gear, start to walk, and sure enough, there's a large black lab mix, and then a german shepard, soon followed by a 3rd large black dog. Luckily they barked a bit and headed out. Not sure where they came from, but I shear sheep for the guy who owns the farm, and I know they don't want three large dogs roaming around. I did get to the stand, had one lone buck wander around, but he was interested in coming my way. Was still good to be out.
Rabbit hunting with the hounds tomorrow, Ocho and Banjo.

·
Registered
381 Posts
had a chance set yesterday afternoon again. not much moving till 5. a medium size 8pt came walking by. he went from one corn field to the other and never stopped walking. amazing how they just melt into the corn. lol about half hour later the small one that lost its mother came out of same corn. i have seen it twice since mom got popped. this time it was limping. guess the idiot neighbor made a low shot. i never let a limper go on living if i have a tag to end it so i popped it. pass threw at 15yrd and watched it run 40yrd and drop. i set till dark then went to drag it out. turned out to be a button. meat looks fine and ended its suffering. packed in ice till tuesday or so. mite brine and smoke a hind quarter next week for a party. dont like killing runts but i sure like eating them:p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well it’s day 10 of my quarantine, beautiful morning in the woods, but haven’t seen much. Brought the 22 along, so I should be able to take a few squirrels, of the dozens running around my stand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So, had 5 does come in walk around but stayed out of range, then as they disappeared I hit a bleat call and one headed back to me, probably a button buck, but no chance to shoot. Then as I was getting ready to shoot some squirrels, this doe came trotting down the trail. Tried to stop her w a grunt but she only slowed a little. The shot dropped her in tracks. The shadow in the first pic is me in the stand.
Plant Wood Organism People in nature Trunk

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts