close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fillet Knives

Discussion in 'Indiana Pan Fishing' started by JL, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Hey, fellas. I am in the market for a new fillet knife. I have had the "ole stand by" Rapala fillet knife for years (in my opinion, the best). You can only sharpen a knife so much. I'm looking for a new one. I'm thinking about another Rapala. Any suggestions to change my mind?

2. Nope, why switch from the best? Stick with the Rapala.

3. I buy the maroon handle Normark, same company as rapala. they have them at Meijers for about $6. Don't let the price fool you - they are one of the few real bargains in the world. Just as good as the birch handle- leather sheath rapalas. Cut off the plastic fingerguard and the fit in your old leather sheath. I have 7 or 8 of them. :)

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I bought a 4" Rapala a couple of years ago (black handle-plastic case) for bluegill works great..did buy a electric fillet knife last years...that even works on gills...I'm getting lazier.

5. Rapala makes an excellent Electric Fillet knife that comes with a 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC power converter. You can also use this fillet knife with a 12 volt car battery or run it from any 12 volt cigarette lighter or portable 12 volt DC portable power unit.

Once you use the electric fillet knife and clean a mess of fish you won't want to go back. It's just so much faster and easier with an electric fillet knife. I am 55 years old and have been fishing with my dad ever since I can remember. I have pictures of me fishing along side dad when I was only 3 or 4 years old. I started fishing KY lake with Dad when I was around 8 and have been fishing for bass, crappie, saugar, catfish, bluegill, walleye and Northern Pike ever since I turned 8.

Needless to say I have cleaned a lot of fish over the years with a rapala manual fillet knife. Also used some good BUCK fillet knifes over the years.

I now have 4 different electric Fillet knifes and use them all at times. Last time I cleaned fish I fillets 18 crappie that were all over 10" in length. It only took me a short time to fillet them. I remove all the bones and freeze the fillets in my top loading freezer/refrigerator.

I have three American Angler Fillet knifes but I don't like the way the blade locks are made. I have arthritis in my hands which makes it hard for me to press the two side buttons to release the knife blades from the handle. I have a battery powered rechargeable AA fillet knife, A 110 volt corded AA fillet knife and a 12 volt DC corded AA fillet knife. I use the latter the most until I got the new Rapala Electric Fillet Knife.

If you clean a lot of fish it will really help you get the job done faster. I have even used the electric fillet knife to clean small bluegills and crappie. Fish as small at 8" up to 12.5" have all been easy to fillet with the rapala unit.

It's really a time saver and they cut though the fish and the rib cage bones like a hot knife slicking though warm butter.

6. Yep all of the above..... I use the black handles 6" ( I think it's 6"). Have a bunch of the old wood handled ones too. Wouldn't switch. I also have an electric knife. Man it's nice.

7. Cant beat the Rapala / Normarks I have several I took the 6inch had it precisely ground down to 3 and use it on perch... Works great!

8. yep all the above got a electric myself and love it. Clean alot of fish with that thing takes some practice just like any knife but man it is so fast. I can do about 30 fish in an hour with a reg blade and about 60 with the electric. with a bit of practice you can also read the paper through the back after your done.

9. Fergie, I know you're right about them electrics, I tried my buddies once, I never got the hang of it... and the wife was opposed to "fish chowder" :yikes: so I went back to doing them by hand...

10. I love the little 4" Rapala....... Stay w/ the one that works.

11. same here you have the best one made, might as well stay with it

12. rapala - the best there is

13. J.L. The Rapala knife is a time honored ass kicker; and everyone should have at least one of them in their reportroire (did I spell that right?) , but the Mister Twister Electric filet knife is an excellent knife....especially on walleye. And I know you and I will boat many of these this year. You can clean gills with it too. I was shown how to filet 'eyes with this knife back in 1989 by an Erie captain and it makes cleaning them a cinch. You can filet them fast and once you get it down, can clean a ton of fish in no time.

14. Hunter Hollis

Hunter Hollis Banned

I've always been fond of Case knives

Makes the job of Filleting the big ones much easier.
    9" Tru-sharp surgical steel blade, holds edge and resist rust!
    Polished honed edge offers superior sharpness
    Includes Genuine leather sheath with tough plastic liner.
    Rugged light weight synthetic handle contoured to fit your hand. Just an all around great knife for any kind of fish. Even the small ones Dean.

15. just used my case fillet knife i got for christmas for the first time today, nice knife.