Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time hunter looking to fill a turkey tag this coming spring. Ive done a lot of research on where to find birds in the state and I'm thinking about heading to the south central area of indiana, around morgan/monroe and brown county. Has anyone personally had luck there? does anyone have spots they know of that are better than others? Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to make 2017 the year I get my first bird.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have farms and hunt Owen County , This area is Loaded with birds . The population is again growing after one season of really wet year that kind of halted the growth of the population . That year we had alot of birds on the nest when we had major flooding that washed the nests away . But you are good in this area now , The population has rebounded . Happy Hunting !

·
Registered
277 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to make a trip there prior to the season and scout like a mad man. Nothing anybody can tell you will pay off like getting some hands on experience with the area you want to hunt.

·
Registered
315 Posts
northern part is loaded too. you just need permission where some live and roost. if you get that you are almost guaranteed success! better do your homework a week ago though. youll need to find where they roost and watch them from a distance a couple mornings. youll see a preference to what way they like to come down.(most likely with sun at their backs) set up 100yrds from there a 1/2 to 1 hour before first light. if you calling is good it will be over before you know it!

turkey are easy prey for us with the ability to reason. i always heard how hard they were to hunt my entire life. what a joke that was. deer are ten times harder to hunt than turkey. turkey have bionic eyes and thats it. use a ground blind and you can use a bow(user name suggests you like that lol) without any problem.

wish you luck on your first bird bowanarrow! it is a rush that first time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i always heard how hard they were to hunt my entire life. what a joke that was. deer are ten times harder to hunt than turkey.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you. I've had deer literally walk within 20 yards of me several times while turkey hunting. Never had a clue I was there. That ain't never happened with a turkey. EVER.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will have to respectfully disagree with you. I've had deer literally walk within 20 yards of me several times while turkey hunting. Never had a clue I was there. That ain't never happened with a turkey. EVER.
I think it actually depends on where you are , Different parts of the state have very large pockets of birds . So where one person may see alot of deer the next part of the county or state may have a large number of birds making it easier to call them in . I think if you do some homework and find a place in one of the counties where you see alot of Turkey being killed to hunt . You may find it very easy to call an Ole tom in . Good Luck and Happy Hunting !

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have had turkey looking in my blind window at 6ft away, trying to figure out what i was. been surrounded with them and they had no clue i was there. with a blind you are invisible to them. every one of them i have shot with gun or bow has been within 20yrds. if they had the nose and ears of a deer they would be a formidable prey. they do not. they have bionic eyes though so you better not even blink. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Indiana average deer harvest...120,000 Indiana Turkey harvest average...11,000
Average success rate for deer...70% Average success rate for turkey.....20%

---mic drop--- LOL

Turkey hear extremely well, as well. Plus, I can't shoot a turkey with a rifle 150 yards away like a deer. Sense of smell means nothing at that distance and if you're down wind.

I've had deer walk 75 yards from me as I was sighting in my .22. True story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a first time hunter looking to fill a turkey tag this coming spring. Ive done a lot of research on where to find birds in the state and I'm thinking about heading to the south central area of indiana, around morgan/monroe and brown county. Has anyone personally had luck there? does anyone have spots they know of that are better than others? Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to make 2017 the year I get my first bird.
I pass through Brown County quite often , I always see a ton of birds in the fields there

·
Registered
315 Posts
oh now! deer vs turkey harvest dont even apply because of the huge hunter numbers difference. the success rate probably suffers from people just learning in this state. lots of new turkey hunters every year(im guessing on that) and they need to learn.

its all in the blind, IMO. they have great eyes and thats it. that is all im saying. after shooting them for a couple years i find them fun as all get out, and tasty but not really much of a challenge. i have helped 3 buddies call in their first birds too, and they were all oblivious to the blind. this year one of those buddies is taking his 13yo daughter. i would lay money on getting a call the morning of youth season. i would not lay money on her(or anyone else) getting a deer.

here they come from the south.

and here they are stomping the dead fall bird, of my first season, with a bow.

had to set in the blind another 30min before they went away. lol

get a slate call, a blind(even if its only burlap camouflage on some sticks), and a hand full of hot 4s, and your set. go get your first bird!!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You said it right there. Ditch the blind and tell me turkeys aren't a challenge. Blinds have taken away a lot of the challenge in turkey hunting. I suggest them for kids and beginners but it is so much more fun to go after them on the ground without the concealment of a blind. Put your skills to the test this year since they are too easy for you . Not trying to be rude with you so please dont take it that way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly. I don't use blinds. They suck. No challenge in that. Dragging a blind around would be no fun. Blinds are for kids, newbies.

Success rates don't matter??? Since when? Numbers don't lie. If there's more deer hunters hunting versus turkey hunters, those deer hunters are harvesting 70% of the time. Turkey hunters 20% You can't dispute that. Look it up. Indiana deer harvest reports. Indiana turkey harvest reports.

I'm just saying deer hunting is really just deer killing. Rifle + deer 150 yards away = success.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh now! deer vs turkey harvest dont even apply because of the huge hunter numbers difference. the success rate probably suffers from people just learning in this state. lots of new turkey hunters every year(im guessing on that) and they need to learn.

its all in the blind, IMO. they have great eyes and thats it. that is all im saying. after shooting them for a couple years i find them fun as all get out, and tasty but not really much of a challenge. i have helped 3 buddies call in their first birds too, and they were all oblivious to the blind. this year one of those buddies is taking his 13yo daughter. i would lay money on getting a call the morning of youth season. i would not lay money on her(or anyone else) getting a deer.

here they come from the south.

and here they are stomping the dead fall bird, of my first season, with a bow.

had to set in the blind another 30min before they went away. lol

get a slate call, a blind(even if its only burlap camouflage on some sticks), and a hand full of hot 4s, and your set. go get your first bird!!!!!
Exactly. I don't use blinds. They suck. No challenge in that. Dragging a blind around would be no fun. Blinds are for kids, newbies.

Success rates don't matter??? Since when? Numbers don't lie. If there's more deer hunters hunting versus turkey hunters, those deer hunters are harvesting 70% of the time. Turkey hunters 20% You can't dispute that. Look it up. Indiana deer harvest reports. Indiana turkey harvest reports.

I'm just saying deer hunting is really just deer killing. Rifle + deer 150 yards away = success.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You said it right there. Ditch the blind and tell me turkeys aren't a challenge. Blinds have taken away a lot of the challenge in turkey hunting. I suggest them for kids and beginners but it is so much more fun to go after them on the ground without the concealment of a blind. Put your skills to the test this year since they are too easy for you . Not trying to be rude with you so please dont take it that way.
I'm with you brother. To me it's all about being on the ground with the bird. Calling "Checkmate"! If I'm in a blind, it would be like sitting in my living room. No thanks. That's not turkey hunting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I get what he is saying about success rates not mattering to an extent. You have to figure in all of the lifetime permit holders out there that get counted in the hunter numbers and never set foot in the turkey woods. So to an extent it's not a true representation as the success rate is probably a little higher than what it shows. However the same goes for deer hunting as well. Like I said before. I think that blinds definitely have their place in turkey hunting. That's how my wife killed her first couple of birds and a young boy that I took as well. Actually if it wasn't for the blind we never would have gotten that bird close enough for a shot with all of his movement. I just have a hard time hearing how turkey hunting isn't challenging at all from someone who sits in a blind all the time and that is what they base their opinion from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get what he is saying about success rates not mattering to an extent. You have to figure in all of the lifetime permit holders out there that get counted in the hunter numbers and never set foot in the turkey woods. So to an extent it's not a true representation as the success rate is probably a little higher than what it shows. However the same goes for deer hunting as well. Like I said before. I think that blinds definitely have their place in turkey hunting. That's how my wife killed her first couple of birds and a young boy that I took as well. Actually if it wasn't for the blind we never would have gotten that bird close enough for a shot with all of his movement. I just have a hard time hearing how turkey hunting isn't challenging at all from someone who sits in a blind all the time and that is what they base their opinion from.
I understand totally. I pride myself on concealment and patience. A blind hides everything. That's fine for newbies, youth or women (zero patience, lol). It's not for me. I love the chase. Having one sound off and getting set up. Last year, I had to set up in less than 4 minutes. Had 3 hens on top of me. Then the gobbler 3 minutes later! It was a rush.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts