Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 13 and just got my first bow in october (bowtech soldier) and my friend and i are going to try the 3D shoots at the washington consveration club. We are also thinking about trying the shoots at winslow In. If you guys have any tips or anything for me or any things to share about ur experiences shooting 3D id really like to hear them. thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thats the thing remember its fun. Some get so caught up in it its unreal. OH BTW watch out for the pencil pushers (cheaters who like to give themselves better scores than what they shoot)...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Keep your cool, be yourself, and above all have a blast. Done let the guys that bring target rigs with 9 foot stablizers make you nervous. When I shoot, I shoot my hunting rig. The only thing I change is my arrows...the ones I hunt with are camo coated...bad idea for foam targets...they tend to have the foam stick to them. If you're a hunter, it's great practice for the kill zone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If (and when) you miss, keep your eye on the path the arrow took. Consider cheaper arrows for 3D.

Take a piece of silicone rubber to help with pulling arrows from the targets. You can use silicone spray lube on the tips only of your arrows. Don't spray it where you pull from. Pulling arrows from new 3D targets can be pretty tough.

Pull arrows with left arm to help keep things even (if you shoot righty).

Never pull an arrow with a child standing behind you. Have them stand to the side. When the arrow pops out, the nock end can go into the childs eye. Do not underestimate this safety rule. I have seen it happen more than once.

If you forget a pencil, use your arrow tip to mark the cards.

Take a little money to buy a pop or something. Clubs always need money.

have fun!

PS. nice crappie in your avatar!

Cary

·
Registered
962 Posts
youre gonna get addicted :D

Rule one...HAVE FUN Im a regular, shoot at least two a month and always with trad gear. Too many get all wrapped up in a score. Whoopie, sharpest pencil gets a ribbon...no biggie.

Rule two....use bright colored arrows and fletches, you will miss a few ;)

thats it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
619 Posts
One tip I can give you is practice judging your yardage to the yard. don't get in the habit of only shooting for 20, 25, 30 and 35.
judge it to the yard that way if you are off its only a couple yds not 5 yards.

When I started doing that I consistently started shooting 20 pts higher.

It helps to have a range finder when practicing. If you do have a range finder take it with you to the shoots and range every target AFTER the shot. It will disqualify you for having it so don't even turn in your score card but after a few shoots you can go without it.

I like to judge distance by looking at a tree or bush next to the target. It really throws you off when you go from one animal to the next because they are all different sizes. Once you get a number in your head then start at the target and judge it back to you .

Sorry for all the rambling LOL.

Take your time and judge the distances methodically and you will score higher than guys who can out shoot you.

also its a good idea to get the cards that show the score rings on different animals in different positions. Many times you will hit right where you are aiming but not be in the 10 ring.

again sorry to ramble....good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.