close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fish transportation

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by rico, May 28, 2006.

1. Hey men, I am trying to get some new species of fish into my lake. But I have found that the survival rate is very low when I spend all day at another lake and try to bring what I have caught home. Any suggestions as to what the best way of transporting live fish is?

2. This year I bought a Toho/Livewell from Cabelas. Been stocking a friends pond for him. Have kept fish in at for as long as 15 hours. Drove them across 2 states and have not had 1 fish die in it yet. I like the Toho. In Cabelas the also have an additive to put in the water, not sure if it sedates them or what. Have not had to use it. The Toho make a mini-river inside it.. Keeps them alive.

3. Keep a careful eye on the temperature of the water. You won't want to have any more than two degrees difference between the two, or it can certainly shock the fish. Also, you'll want to make sure that you read up on fish-stocking data before doing a ton of transplantation. I have read that you have to be careful in stocking a body of water with crappies, because they are such prolific breeders. They can overrun a pond in a hurry. Here's an interesting website to check out.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0010.html

4. Thanks gents...I will have to check out that live well...I have about a 10 acre lake with an additional 20 that is wetlands(unfishable) due to a couple of busy beavers...understand the crappie thing because that is what is in there(blacks, not whites)...hence I need to get some other species in here. Havent caught a bass in two years, a blue gill in over three. I have caught a few pumpkinseeds as well as a few bullheads. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated. Dont get me wrong, the crappie that come off are trophy quality. But I live here now and can fish it anytime I want. Just getting tired of catching nothing but crappie...trying to transport bass, without much success.

5. don't transport

Buy f1 fish from a quality fish hatchery and be patient and let them grow. That works pretty well for me.

Eric

6. I have been to many pond meeting where they talk about putting fish in and the best way to stock a pond is buy them small and let them grow. Bringing fish from other lakes also bring in many diseases. Be careful.

7. Thanks for the input. I have weighed my options. I have bought small gills and bass before and put them in. I think the crappie just eat them!!! So I am going to try going with larger fish.

8. Stock it with Muskie that should clear up the crappie problem!!! :yikes:

9. I have thought about that. But thinking more along the lines of walleye!!!!!!!!

10. If you want to put walleye in your pond it will have to have a deep hole and cold water and a water creek inlet. What you are going to find out is what a lot of other people have had to fine out too. When bringing in larger fish they will bring in a disease that you will fine when you clean fish and that is those black spots or grubs. But do what you want it's your pond.

11. It is a lake, not a pond. It is about 25 feet deep. No creek inlet, but plenty of field tiles spilling into it. Will it support them?

12. Walleye are touchy fish. I have been stocking friend of mine pond with them this year. So far I have put 15 in there. Drove 10 of them back from Ohio to South Bend in my Toho. Biggest is 5 lbs=23" His pond is only about an 1 1/2 acres. He had it dug 30' and had a well put in and runs 50,000 gallons a day through it. None have died so far. He had a biologist out last year(after he had a die-off). Thats where the well idea came from. All you can do is give it a try.

13. I wouldn't think that they would reproduce in there, Rico, from what I have read.

14. jl I think your right they will not reproduce and most of the time you need a inlet where the water coming in is cooler.

15. Well I guess largemouth bass will have to do!!!!!!