close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Collectibles Auction

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by BREWERSVILLE OUTFITTERS, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Creek Chub Bait Co.

Anyone familiar with Creek Chub Lures??? They were made right here in Garrett...back in the day. Every year, there is an antique lure auction here in Garrett. Anyone have any authentic Creek Chub Lures they'd like to sell???

2. The world-record largemouth bass was caught on a Creek Chub lure...but you die-hard bass fishermen already knew that!

3. I made the famous lure...you better believe it brother!!!

Down in Georgia back in 1930, or '32 by George Perry on Montgomery Lake. Bait was made right here in my hometown. As a matter of fact......I made that very lure!!!!!:rolleyes:

4. Montgomery Lake, a slough of the Ocmulgee River, 1932. Creek chub wiggle-fish I believe...and I also believe that you look very good for your age if you made that lure, Dean.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2006
  5. Weimer's Chub LUres

Yes, I know!!!!!!

6. History Lesson

22 lbs. 4 oz. Largemouth Bass caught by 19 year old George Perry on an oxbow lake off the Ocmulgee River called Montgomery Lake on June 2, 1932, near Jacksonville, Georgia. Fish was caught on a Creek Chub Wiggle Fish - Perch Scale # 2401. George was fishing with a shared rod and reel that cost $1.33 and the lure cost $1.35. Additional details on the fish are 32 1/2" length and 28 1/2" girth. George's only reward ws $75.00 in merchandise as First Prize in Field and Stream Magazine Fishing Contest.

I researched but could not find any information stating George traded his big bass for a used truck and atv. I belieeeeeeeeeve George ate his fish for dinner.

treehugger

7. Weimer Custom Lures...For World-Class results

:fish2: You forgot to mention who manufactured that lure, Tree......;) . Let's give credit where credit is do.......:fish:

8. George and his family did in fact eat the fish...it took them two days because of the enormity of the fish. There is some speculation that his mother was actually the one who caught the fish, but she already had her limit, so she let George claim it. The family received so many telegraphs after the fish was caught, the Perry family had their telegraph disconnected.

9. History certainly does indeed repeat itself doesn't it. :biggrin:

10. I have a few old Creek Chub lures.
    I have a few that I havent identified yet but the ones I have identified are a No.1618 silver flash "Sinful Sal" spinner, a No.3851 green beetle, 3854 gold beetle, and a jointed "PikieMinnow"

I love old lures, I sometimes use the inexpensive ones in open water so I dont snag them on branches. I think its pretty cool when you catch a bass on a lure that 50-60 years old.

H.S. Dills would be proud.

11. Send 'em to me Bo, I'll identify 'em for ya'!!!

12. I thought I remember reading something about them having traded the fish for a wheelbarrel and a broken down ol' nag. I don't think the fact that they ate the fish was ever proven.

13. Good one.