close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Florida -- New Five-Day Season For Crossbow Hunts

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by CutNShoot, Feb 4, 2006.

1. It was a race between Lousiana and Florida as to who would legalize first, but Florida won.. ;)

New Five-Day Season For Crossbow Hunts

Del Milligan

Beginning in October, Florida hunters will have a five-day crossbow season between archery and muzzleloader seasons on private lands in the Central and South zones.

Conventional bows will also be legal during the new crossbow season, and both bows and crossbows can be used on private property during muzzleloading gun season.

For deer hunters, only bucks with at least one antler five inches or longer are permitted.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission approved the rule changes on Wednesday at its meeting in Gainesville. The new rules do not apply to wildlife management areas and other public lands.

In the Northwest Zone, crossbow season opens the Monday after Thanksgiving and continues for seven days.

Other legal game during crossbow season includes wild hogs, bearded turkeys (except in Holmes County), gray squirrels, quail, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, nutria, skunks and beavers.

For more information on crossbow season, call Tony Young at 850-488-7867 or check MyFWC.com.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/COLUMNISTS0603/602030379/1113/SPORTS

WW – One step at a time..... who's next?

2. Oh... BTW .. Florida is very nice this time of the year. I just spent two weeks down there in the sunshine. 75 to 80 degrees every day. Pics later..

But I swear I wasn't around Tallahasee.. :biggrin:

3. Since Joe Bacon says you work for the crossbow industry.....maybe your whole Florida vacation can be tax deductable!

4. As I said - But I swear I wasn't around Tallahasee.. :biggrin:

5. So take your cross bow down there and hunt with it...

6. Crossbows are less challenging for three reasons: They are drawn before deer arrive, so moveement is not detected.They can be artificially held at full draw indefinitely.[Even compounds with 85-percent let-off do not allow a strong bowhunter enough time at full draw in some situations.] A crossbow hunter can often take a rest to steady his shot,but a bowhunter is always forced to shoot off-handed. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

7. "For deer hunters, only bucks with at least one antler five inches or longer are permitted."

I hope we never go to anything as crazy as this rule.....

treehugger

8. how did FL pass this without the whole hanging chad thing?

9. Good point Quail...I think they hired out the vote tabulation contract to some Iraqi Taliban types...kind of along the same lines as the group that is protecting our ports now.

10. ME 2

11. Yeah....that......

Didn't hear you stand up against the antler restriction thingy there ????????

12. CROSSBOWS.......:cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm

13. what's the trick to measuring a 5" antler before you shoot it? i would hate to shoot one with a 4 3/4" it would be illegal. :banghead3